Custom Axis

Wallrat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry folks.  I don't mind a hijack that is full of useful information.  Now if somebody comes in here and wants to start some shit then that'll get under my skin...

Justin did you talk to Todd directly yet like I suggested?  I agree that it sounds like a nitrogen leak.  I'm far from an expert on shocks but noticeable fade from one trip to the next sounds like more of an issue than just oil getting gummed up by normal use.  Maybe DUNEDEMON knows, can you just stick a pressure gauge on the ressy to measure if you've still got nitrogen?  I think a drive out to Lake Elsinore and a meeting w/ Todd directly will get alot more accomplished than just talking on the phone to one of his flunkies.  He could probably test the shock while you wait and get you a definative answer to your problem.  Just ask when you talk to him.

Another question - I've got nitrogen here at my work so I'm thinking that it might be worth it for me to snag some regulators so I can service the shock myself.  What kinda PSI are we talking about here?

490146[/snapback]

Matt seeing as how you are in the middle of so cal... I'm sure you could easily find a local suspension guru that doesn't rape you with the charges... IMO 50$ per shock every 4 months for me is not bad at all... I have mine done at J-H racing (johnny hale's race shop)... Not to mention the turn-around time....

Justin, A shock fading that fast has other issues.. It takes a good 2 months of mx tracks for my shocks to go slightly downhill....

On a side note.. this is one of the most informative threads the hq has seen iin a grip..

Mike

Good assortment of tools here, obviously the tools you'll need are towards the bottom of the page. http://www.racetech.com/shopping/shopdispl...9&showPage=dirt

Here's an article written by one of Walt's home boys (Walt I rode with Mike out at Glamis on 3/10, that guy is fast!) Breaks things down into leymans terms, I don't have the time to do this so I'll just paste this... http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection...avel-a-arms.cfm

Edited by DUNEDEMON

On a side note.. this is one of the most informative threads the hq has seen iin a grip..

Mike

490222[/snapback]

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE.

I'd also like to hear more about this self servicing. i wanna redo my rear factory shock. i know race-tech makes the vavling kits for it. but i know where i can come up with my own parts and tools. :) just need some knowledge.

oh ya, thats what id heard. i was talking more in the way of the valving though. the sevice manager at my job once told me how big of a pain in the ass they are. you have to drill them out or something. but we do a great deal of racetech stuff, so im pretty sure i can round up some of the parts from the shop , and then put together what ever else i need.

Gimmeabear:

I've watched Mike from Axis and the boys from K&K rebuild shocks and tho its not all that difficult, it is time consuming to do it right. When I mean not difficult... That is meant towards someone that has a dam good mechanical skills and patience! Dont try this if you have a hard time holding onto the smarth end of a screwdriver.

It can also be a little tedious. Somethings will be confusing until you do the first few. I'm sure I could do some but would rather leave it to the pros. (I also dont have the time) Now thats for just a service... revalving takes a lot more.

Dunedemon:

Mike is one of the best tour guides at Mother G. He was up at Dumont this weekend to help with the clean-up. I've been riding with him several times... always a great time. Fast is an understatement!!

Great article by the way too.

Hopefully we can keep THIS thread on track

Gimmeabear:

I've watched Mike from Axis and the boys from K&K rebuild shocks and tho its not all that difficult, it is time consuming to do it right. When I mean not difficult... That is meant towards someone that has a dam good mechanical skills and patience! Dont try this if you have a hard time holding onto the smarth end of a screwdriver.

It can also be a little tedious. Somethings will be confusing until you do the first few. I'm sure I could do some but would rather leave it to the pros. (I also dont have the time) Now thats for just a service... revalving takes a lot more.

Hopefully we can keep THIS thread on track

490590[/snapback]

^MUST be a super clean work enviroment too! Patience, good notes and a stong desire to learn & understand what the smallest change equates too in terms of the shocks performance will get you very far. This is not a skill that is easily learned, it takes time and lots of practice. Good notes tracking each change made wil serve you well. Check racetech's site, they have a few seminars comming up.

Dunedemon:

Mike is one of the best tour guides at Mother G. He was up at Dumont this weekend to help with the clean-up. I've been riding with him several times... always a great time. Fast is an understatement!!

Great article by the way too.

490590[/snapback]

I don't need a tour guide, that is the fun part. We were out there for an impromptu race of sorts that another site puts on. I was riding my wifes 400EX - nuff said. He laid down a blistering time - we joked and said because of his weight he had better traction. He said he going up to Dumont for the cleanup weekend and to finally get a ride in Suspension's Unlimited new 2 seat mid-engine car.. When are you going to head down this way? We'll hit up the G.