Sand Tire question

shanYE west

On skat-trak tires they will put the roll out number on the side of the tire example 22x11x8 10 paddle 72RO. Roll out is the distance all the way around the tire. When skat-trak changed carcass the new supplier for some reason has smaller roll out and are heavier. Which for someone who is racing doesn't like because you want the tire as light as you can get it and as tall as you can get it. If you order a set of skat traks from a dealer just let them know you want the largest roll out they have in stock. They could have 4 sets of the same size tires but actually they could all have a different roll out.

Also it is very important to get the rollout the same for each tire, this will make it go down the track straight. To measure the rollout put the bike on a hard surface and and roll it untill it has gone the full rotation of the tire, so from where the first paddle hits to where it hits again is where you measure to, then you adjust the air pressure to get the rollout the same

If you order a set of skat traks from a dealer just let them know you want the largest roll out they have in stock.  They could have 4 sets of the same size tires but actually they could all have a different roll out.

466208[/snapback]

The key to point out here is that these 4 sets would not truly be the same size, unless they are improperly inflated as rz points out. Rollout is simply the circumference of the tire. Since circumference is the product of diameter and pi (3.14....) if these tires are truly the same diameter (height) they will have the same rollout.

For example you could take several sets of say 22-11-8 10 paddle haulers off the shelf those tires run between about a 69-72 roll out written on the side. They are all marked 22-11-8 but the rollouts are all different. That's what I meant by tell them you want the largest roll out they have.

ok here's another question why do people prefer the 21x12x8 skat's over the 20x10x10's for drag racing anyways what makes this tire size better for drag racing then the other? The reason I ask is that I have 20x10x10 10 paddle haulers now, and I'm getting a new motor built for drags and everyone is telling me to get the 21x12x8 10 paddle haulers. So I guess the question is what difference will I notice with the 21x12x8's..

Edited by fouledout2