Is it time for new rings?

scuba147

REbuilt top end last year and had 160 psi in both cylinders. Now i have 145 in left and 150 on the right. Is that the cause of hard to start when cold(20 kicks). Is that a big enough drop in compression to put new rings in it. 19cc domes, v-force reeds, single carb at 200-500 above sea level. Once started the shee runs great. Just curious if its ring time?? Thanks

I think your rings are ok...

As RN said, you'll probably need to compensate for the cold by one or more of the following:

Pilot jet and/or air screw mixture for idle and better starting, and...if you haven't richened up your mains for the colder weather, you're probably sitting on a gernade waiting to happen.

A properly tuned and jetted shee should kickstart in 2 to 3 kicks just about every time...regardless of temp.

REbuilt top end last year and had 160 psi in both cylinders.  Now i have 145 in left and 150 on the right.  Is that the cause of hard to start when cold(20 kicks).  Is that a big enough drop in compression to put new rings in it.  19cc domes, v-force reeds, single carb at 200-500 above sea level.  Once started the shee runs great. Just curious if its ring time??  Thanks

463436[/snapback]

I have 19cc domes and 185 psi at about 1000ft, hard to start cold could be to small of a pilot jet. you should have more cylinder pressure with those domes

Thanks for all the replys--I will try a bigger pilot jet tommorow. I remember putting in a smaller pilot jet 2 years ago in the spring but have never really ridden it in the winter since then(was down all last winter). I did up the main jet one size just to be on the safe side when it got to about 40 degrees or lower.

Sucks having your 4 stroke buddies saying does your foot hurt yet-----I think i am going to disconnect their batteries next time before we ride :D

thanks again

Just a word of advice...I know you have a single carb setup...but on the factory twin mikunis, it's normal to go 2 to 4 sizes richer on the main for winter riding...one size main might not be enough.

Just give those four strokers a whitewash courtesey the business end of your banshee, that usually shuts 'em up.

:cheers:

Here's the link to Dave Noss's site, about his head and APPROXIMATE cylinder PSI, again...based on fresh bore, etc.

You seem to be a little low...but not low enough to start as bad as you're claiming.

I firmly believe overall jetting is your prob!!

http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm

Edited by dajogejr

I up'd the size pilot jet one size (48) and that did it--5kicks cold and shee started. I will have to remember this next year if i switch pilots.I have always run a 175 in summer and 178 main in winter months with no problems for 4 years now. My bike doesnt fairwell to bigger mains.I will keep an eye on the compression-maybe tester is off a little i have? Thanks for all your replys--