Dune trip

beatme

I live right outside Philadelphia PA. I do a lot of riding in old coal strip mines in the poconos and sand/dirt riding in Jersey. Me and my buddies have always wanted to ride on real dunes, and now we may get the chance. We are all 24-25yrs old and have figured that this summer may be the best/only chance we get to do this trip. My question is:Where would the absolute best time be had? If you could recommend any one place to spend a week at, where would it be? Every young kid(at least from my area) dreams of going to glamis to ride, but is it really the best place to go? Please let me know where we should aim for.

I personally can't say for sure. I do know that when I go to LS I always meet a lot of people from out of state. Met some last year from Pensylvania and a guy from Planet Sand (Scooby) with a Turbo DS650 and he drove from New York to LS. If you plan on making a road trip of it, stop by LS and see how you like it. I think it's awesome. :cheers:

I live right outside Philadelphia PA.  I do a lot of riding in old coal strip mines in the poconos and sand/dirt riding in Jersey.  Me and my buddies have always wanted to ride on real dunes, and now we may get the chance.  We are all 24-25yrs old and have figured that this summer may be the best/only chance we get to do this trip.  My question is:Where would the absolute best time be had?  If you could recommend any one place to spend a week at, where would it be?  Every young kid(at least from my area) dreams of going to glamis to ride, but is it really the best place to go?  Please let me know where we should aim for.

461359[/snapback]

My area has awesome dunes. You have Walden down in CO (abot 3 hours from me, here in Rock Springs, WY) you have Killpecker sand dunes about 20min from town, you have St. A's next door in Idaho, Sand Mountain over in Utah. This whole area has some great dunes, and they are all different. Walden is small, but my personal favorite. If you came out this way, you could crash here at my place. I have a big house here in Rock Springs, with plenty of room for guests.

Check out Dunereview.com for pictures and video of all the dunes lited above. All right in this area. I also have vids and pics posted from walden and killpecker in th images and video section.

Edited by BigRed350x

i personally like big sand mountain utah its has the second biggest sand hill in the united states i think, im preatty sure that the dunes in idaho are like 50 ft higher but in utah theres a little of everything there some trails, some bowls and just cruisin around dunes, huge a$$ hill, and if you go behind big sand mountain there is some rugged shit that will make you shit your self being your first dune trip im sure youll have fun anywhere i would just find the closest one to you so you get more riding time just my opinon

Edited by jjfizzle51

one of my buddys is planning a trip in march to LS, OK. hopfully ill get to go, never been. one of the guys my dad works with has go there with his quadzillia and said its pretty good there

You might as well cross Glamis right off your list since your planning a summer trip.  Temps in the 120's aren't unusual during the summer.  Same goes for Dumont dunes while we're at it.  Our season out here is Sept - May.

461669[/snapback]

Walden and Killpecker dunes are usually between 60 and 80 during the summer. Walden is typically a little colder since it is up in the mountains.

If your going to Utah to ride you might as well drive the extra 12 hours to Glamis.

im only 4 hours away from Glamis so thats where we ride sand most of the time.

I have been to Utah and wasent impressed the trip would have bombed if we dident go to see family. But you have to hit Glamis at the right times as well. you dont want any storms and or super busy weekend. Ill tell you now that spring break is going to be insane.Me andmy family and some close friend were out there last weekend and it was still a ton of people there. but I would drive the extra hours to hit Glamis and then on the way back hit Utah two birds with one stone. and if there 5 of you drive straight threw only stop to eat and go to the bathroom and switch drivers. :cheers:

This whole area has some great dunes, and they are all different.

461480[/snapback]

word come out to St. A's and we will hook you up with all the good places to eat and theres camping like 50 ft from the dunes. Could also give you a tour of the dunes too.Temperatures rarely get over 100 and are usually around 85 during the summer. occasionaly you'll get a 2 day rain storm but after that storm is when the dunes are the best to hit and if you want you could hit here for 2 days, hit utah and nevada all in one week.Check out dunereview.com foshoe though :cheers: