is it worth it?

alright here is the deal......my bro is selling his 1988 chevy 2500 3/4 ton 4x4 truck

he wants 2000 for it and it has...

2 inch rear lift kit

16 inch rims

oversized tires

edlebrock shocks

new bed

new rad

just inspected

all new lights

new seats

jvc cd player

power windows

power door locks

power steering

only down side is

its got 250k on the motor

new steering box (doesnt need one but i would be a good idea)

and a paint job

im sure it has more and all but thats what i know of off hand

well it is an auto AND IT IS MY FIRST TRUCK so im sure im just going to lay a beating on it.... it does run really strong tho

here are some pics

e2786060.jpg

9ce29a47.jpg

bccd3329.jpg

d204feba.jpg

efa8cb51.jpg

a8c4581a.jpg

3e1a99f3.jpg

976dc90a.jpg

Edited by sycoracer911

No. For 2K you can find other rigs, maybe an older 4WD that has matching body parts and less miles and a radiator hose that does not need a bungee to hold it away from the fan (im guessing). Just my 2cents. But you know the truck and the history more than I.

RJV

Seeing as how it's your first car and you even said your gonna beat it up I'd go for it... not for 2k though... that truck is worth 1500 tops...

Mike

459885[/snapback]

yeah thats what i thought but around here you cant find them for under 2 and my bro wont go down any

No.  For 2K you can find other rigs, maybe an older 4WD that has matching body parts and less miles and a radiator hose that does not need a bungee to hold it away from the fan (im guessing).  Just my 2cents.  But you know the truck and the history more than I. 

RJV

459887[/snapback]

looked around here really couldnt find anything else... i dont watn to go with a ford.... and the older chevy's like 86's and stuff my dad doesnt want me to get.... also i only lik the 95- dodge rams.... or new chevy's but around here there not cheep cuz people know that you need a 4x4 aroudn here....there is no rust on the truck and the bed is new and all.... so thats solid.... and yeah the bunge si holding the hose away form the fan but htats not a biggie... i know a lot of the parts on the truck are new... he has been fixing it up and going over it... but he just wants to sell it now... he has been looking at newer ones... and he is reaplacing a lot of the ball joints and stuff before it gets inspected... putting a new cart on it and all

here are some adds i found in the paper near me for prices....

'93 CHEVY SILVERADO, 1/2-ton, ext. cab, 4x4, 6' box, auto., AC, PW/PL, new trans., high mi., needs radiator, $2500. OBO

'89 CHEVY K2500, 4WD, runs strong, w/4-way Western angle plow, needs minor bodywork, minor rust, $2500

'91 CHEVY 2500, 3/4 ton, 350 eng., 5-spd., runs well, body good, new inspt., asking $2495

'89 CHEVY SILVERADO, 1/2-ton, 4WD, runs well, needs some body work, 109K, $1500 (not sure if it's the 305 or the 350)

'88 CHEVY 1500, 4x4, 350, auto., AC, cloth int., new head gaskets, runs strong, 120K, good body, $3500

those were the cheeper ones... there was some for 1000 and stuff but they were the 1500 modles.... 305's.... i dont understand why there so much here

but those were the cheepest one's in the paper.. i even found some for 4grand and stuff...

Seems to me like he's asking about what their going for in your area.

Truck and car prices are different area by area.

The body does look rust free, and it looks like it's a good truck.

I'd be scared of the high miles. I'd bet the motor goes soon and the transmission can't be soon after that.

Even if it was babied 250K is still high. If you going to beat on it expect a new motor for sure. If you have to put 1000 to 2000 for a motor than your'll have

3000 to 5000 in it and every truck you showed us was less than that.

Other than that, you know the truck better than us. You can also get a good used motor, if it goes out.

I'm wondering though are you sure it's a 3/4 ton. It only has the 6 lug wheels. It isn't a heavy half. I've seen light 3/4's but not very many, at least around here.

yeah thats what i thought but around here you cant find them for under 2 and my bro wont go down any

looked around here really couldnt find anything else... i dont watn to go with a ford.... and the older chevy's like 86's and stuff my dad doesnt want me to get.... also i only lik the 95- dodge rams.... or new chevy's but around here there not cheep cuz people know that you need a 4x4 aroudn here....there is no rust on the truck and the bed is new and all.... so thats solid.... and yeah the bunge si holding the hose away form the fan but htats not a biggie... i know a lot of the parts on the truck are new... he has been fixing it up and going over it... but he just wants to sell it now... he has been looking at newer ones... and he is reaplacing a lot of the ball joints and stuff before it gets inspected... putting a new cart on it and all

459893[/snapback]

Way too picky for your first truck. Just get something that runs, and will more than likely last a few years without needing major repairs. That truck, regardless of what he has replaced, is old, and has a LOT of miles. He has replaced a small fraction of the parts on the truck, trust us. While it might do fine and not break down at all, I'll bet money its going to need major repairs in the next few years.

The first thing I thought when I saw that was money pit. If you only have a couple grand, look for a compact truck like an old Toyota.

Seems to me like he's asking about what their going for in your area.

Truck and car prices are different area by area.

The body does look rust free, and it looks like it's a good truck.

I'd be scared of the high miles. I'd bet the motor goes soon and the transmission can't be soon after that.

Even if it was babied 250K is still high. If you going to beat on it expect a new motor for sure. If you have to put 1000 to 2000 for a motor than your'll have

3000 to 5000 in it and every truck you showed us was less than that.

Other than that, you know the truck better than us. You can also get a good used motor, if it goes out.

I'm wondering though are you sure it's a 3/4 ton. It only has the 6 lug wheels. It isn't a heavy half. I've seen light 3/4's but not very many, at least around here.

460210[/snapback]

i dont think that truck is gonna see 300k if u take care of em and allways change ur oil we had Ford trannys run 500k + u can make those chevy models look sik tho

Edited by FasterThanU90

The chev sounds like a good deal if you ask me, he's been fixing it up and looking after it so you know if you buy it you won't be nickle and diming it to death. So what if it has differant pannels, the truck has huge potential, it just needs paint!, anything you buy will need repair unless it's new, besides you can get parts for a chev at the local kwiky mart!, I got 298,000 on my chev and still lots of oil press, and I drive it hard!! Worse case senario it needs an engine, big deal they're a dime a dozen.

I tend to stay away from dodges, they can't put a tranny in anything they always break and parts are way more then the chevs!

Go for it!

they can't put a tranny in anything they always break and parts are way more then the chevs!

Go for it!

460417[/snapback]

I agree on the tranny thing, but chevy's crap ifs is way more prone to breaking then anything on a dodge(besides transmission) Parts are just as cheap for 'em too, trust me I have one of each.