Stern Walks

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/63508.htm

May 9, 2006 -- HOWARD Stern says he's been offered a "major deal" to come back to regular radio via satellite radio - just like his longtime enemies Opie & Anthony.

"The joke could be on them if I get good and worked up [because] I got offered a major deal to go back to terrestrial and stay on satellite at the same time," Stern told his Sirius listeners in comments replayed and mocked yesterday by "O&A."

"Can you imagine if I go across town against them in all those markets and just kick some a-? That would really be cool," said Stern, who now broadcasts to about a tenth of his former audience.

If an offer was actually made to Stern, it most likely came from Citadel Broadcasting, which is in the process of acquiring Disney/ABC's radio division - including New York's WABC, WPLJ and WEPN - and is headed by former Infinity/CBS exec Farid Suleman.

Once Suleman gets the keys to ABC's outlets, he could instantly return Stern to major FM stations in New York, L.A., Chicago and other huge cities, if Sirius, which is paying $500 million over five years for Stern's supposedly exclusive services, agrees to trade exclusivity for cash.

During a recent investor conference call, CEO Mel Karmazin said he's not entertaining reverse-licensing offers but added, "It doesn't mean that we couldn't in the future."

Neither Stern's agent or Suleman returned calls seeking comment.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that rumor was started on opie and anthonys show.

howard can try but he has burned too many bridges to come back to reg radio.

honestly i would love to see him come back adn listen to howard vs o/a battle radio.

use to listen to O/A before the FCC shut them down for the Son of Sam stunt, and they were funnier than Stern in my opinion. But Stern captivates his audience better, almost making you feel like part of his crew in the studio. It was great to hear stories about Artie growing up or any of the trials that any of the staff went through in life. Stern didn't have to be hilarious to be entertaining, his show was just a better production.