Banshee died then hard to kick, HELP?!?!?

r4mclaren

Riding down the road winding it out in 5th and 6th then backed off for about 30 seconds then motor died. Came to a stop and went to kick it and it felt like the motor froze up. So I had my buddy tow me back to our meeting spot and went to kick it again and it started right up. I did notice an extra noise, but nothing extreme, something you really had to listen for. Runs fine now, any idea what could have happened? :whoa:

might have been a lean spot up on top, may have been a slight seizure, pull the head and see if theres any scoring.if you don t pull the head at least do a compression test.if compression numbers are ok,you are probably all right.

Piece of piston skirt could have broken off and lodged itself inbetween crank or rod and something else. It may have worked itself free and thats why it kicks fine again, but the pieces in there are the little bit of extra noise you are hearing. I'd personally pull the cylinders and look at the piston skirts. Ive seen it on other quads where the compression is perfect, but the whole bottom of the piston is gone :whoa:

Did you let the bike warm up for a few minutes b4 tearing down that road in 5th? I've seen that exact same thing happen b4. Piston heats up faster than the cylinders causing it to expand and it cold seizes. Once the engine cools off it works fine (cept for all the scouring on the cyls).

Did you let the bike warm up for a few minutes b4 tearing down that road in 5th?  I've seen that exact same thing happen b4.  Piston heats up faster than the cylinders causing it to expand and it cold seizes.  Once the engine cools off it works fine (cept for all the scouring on the cyls).

448370[/snapback]

I was normal riding for about 5 - 10 min before I cut lose, but it was like 35