lower a arm shock bolt?

JET 99

:confused: I have a slight problem the bolt has a 14mm head thats OK.The nut takes a 17mm socket/wrench thus the problem.On the lower a arm one side of the tube where the bolt goes thru the arm and the shock bushing barely let a 14mm socket go into it let alone a 17mm socket.So I must assume the stock bolts arent gonna get it!!!!! By the way these are long travel not stock.

I looked on laegers website no luck there so what do I do??????????????????? the only diff between front and back of arm is how long the the tube where the bolt goes in at is ones about 3in. the other side is about 4 in. I know the dia of the bolt shaft is important HELP,HELP,!!!!!!!! :cry:

Jim(JET 99)

Edited by JET 99

:angry: Well I answered my own question! I called laeger and for long travel shocks you have to jam a flat head screwdriver down into the tube where the shock attaches to the a arm between the top of the nutand wall of the tube to wedge it while you tighten the bolt. the bolt is a 14mm head and the socket barely fits! the nut is a 17mm socketand aint no way in hell not even turning the wall of the socket will it fit. That is pretty PISS POOR ENGINEERING IMO. especially the money invloved. it does work but F#$%ED UP. just thought I let ya all know if some ones thinking laeger.

:confused: Jim

thanks for the suggestion? wow what a clusterfuck? I called them they said yes uses the stock hard wear to mount arms! OK well you just jam a flat tip screwdriver on the 17mm nut laeger said F@#$ that used your suggestion.but it only gets better.The stock bolt is only thru about 3 treads,no washers. not good rips thread out of nut when tigtening. MOTHER @#$% find a longer bolt go to local fastner supply SHCS not long enough in 10mm,what else ya got??????? well guess what a 17mm hardened hex head great length but what 17mm,f-ed again but I can weld so I have a 14mm nut welded on the head of the 17mm bolt,length is good used your idea on the lug nut, ond holy sh8t shee is finally got some new front legs on her. if your curious I preheated bolt to 200 F. had gmaw .035dia ER 70-3 85-15%co2 19 vlts and 350 IPM. right down thru the center of nut and filled the I.D. about 3/4 the way up the nut. worked out sweet sorry bout the long reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Jim

thanks for the info. I was out playing in the back of the niegborhood on the snowcovered roads. doesnt really give me agood feel for the suspension yet but the wider foot print of the+2+1 arms was a blast sliding thru the corners wide open in 4th. Iam really happy with the outcome thank again for the help!

Jim :cheers:

• 8 years later...