Just a question?!?

ozosborne

A week after getting my shee back from the pipe change and dyno, the overflow pipes on my carbs would not stop leaking. So I clamped the pipes with some wire, just to finish up the week end. On the Monday I phoned the guys that waorked on my quad and asked them about this. They said it must just be dirt in my carbs and that I should bring it in. I only managed to get it in like a month later and by then my front brakes had sprung a leak too. After having my quad for two days I rang them up to see if they had found a problem, needless to say they did and already repaired it and charged R1800.00 without even consulting me. They said my needle and seats were shot, so they rebuilt my carbs with new gaskets and needle and seats. Some of the bill (R699) was steel braided hoses for the front brakes so that was fine. What gets me is that my bike is fairly new with maybe 15 hours on her. Is it possible to wear the needle and seat out that fast? :huh:

To top it off, the chrome on one of my dmc's chipped off and they can't warrant it! I understand it's an offroad but for R5000.00 I would have expected them to be a lot tougher. Any suggestions to prevent that area from flaking further?

And what do you guys think about the carb story? :confused:banghead

I wouldnt think they'd go bad in 15 hrs. Sounds like ya got ripped off a lil bit.

The best way to prevent it is to learn as much about your bike as possible and try to repair as much as possible on your own. Buy a Haynes or Clymer repair manual and a good set of tools, they'll both pay for themselves in the long run.

More than likely you got ripped off. Having a stuck float or one that needs adjusting will also cause the carb to overflow. Stuck floats can usually be fixed with a tap from a screwdriver handle, or if not that then just a quick pull apart and cleaning. A float out of adjustment takes a little bit longer but can usually be done in under 15 minutes per carb. Needles/Seats don't wear out too often. It happens but I've been riding offroad toys for 15 years and have yet to replace one.

I got a pair of kehien 28mm carbs from a guy on here for $175, getting a nice pair of 28's would of been your best bet. They are cheaper, perform better, will eliminate the TORS, and are easier to tune than stock ones. I dont think you got ripped off in terms of taking it to a shop, they charge out the ass so most of tht price is labor. Personally i would of thoguht of a stuck float, possibly they did all that to get your $$$

Needless to say I payed the guys! :angry: Def not taking my shee back there again, I phoned some of the other shops here and all of them also said I goty ripped. The one place even referred to the shop owner as "bullshit Belcher" on account of his surname being Belcher. That unnerved me a bit as my first impression was quite good of them.

Will be getting a Haynes manual soon and get tinkering. I would have been better off buying the 28mm second hand! :cry:

Do any of you know what I can put on the spot where the plating has started chipping off on the belly of my Dmc's? :confused:

From now on I will first check with my fellow HQ'ers before getting ass raped by the work shops! :cheers:

So you paid them to fix a problem they made? There is a screw on the float bowl that you can open to drain the bowls and they might have left those open and say they ordered new parts, but just screwed it back in :confused: just a thought. Buy a clymers manual off amazon.com and you wont need to take it to the shop! rejetting isent all that hard, I dident know what I was doing the first time I tore the carbs off my banshee, but now there is nothing to it.

So you paid them to fix a problem they made? There is a screw on the float bowl that you can open to drain the bowls and they might have left those open and say they ordered new parts, but just screwed it back in  :confused:  just a thought. Buy a clymers manual off amazon.com and you wont need to take it to the shop! rejetting isent all that hard, I dident know what I was doing the first time I tore the carbs off my banshee, but now there is nothing to it.

441151[/snapback]

Yeah it sucks that there are people out there that are willing to steal other peoples hard earned money. banghead

I will have to start learning the shee myself!

i thought deon belcher was a reputable dealer??? i'm amazed to hear that they ripped you off like this.

get a manula boet, and sort it your self. plenty of people on the HQ that will assist where needed! when are you coming down to walvis bay for some proper duning? you should give me a shout and then we can hook up! :cheers: