questions

momo20

i have the CLYMER manual...my rebuild is 100% as of now...but i have a question bout the break in ...the manual says to mix up a fuel/oil mixture ratio of 16:1..then ride the bike for 5-8 minutes at a moderate speed in lower gears...then there is a comination of starting and stop and so on, so on....but is 16:1 kinda rich?? and what would be a good fuel/oil mixture to go with when the bike is broken in???

you have to break an engine in after a rebuild? how much riding do you do to break it in and what gears and speed?

407093[/snapback]

from what the manual says this....

following cylinder servicing (boring, honing, new pistons, new rings etc.), the engine should be broken in as if it were new. The performance and service life of the engine depends greatly on a careful and sensible break in.

*NOTE*

Refer to chaper 3 for further infromation on spark plug reading and to chapter 8 for carburetor jet changes.

1. Drain all existing fuel from the tank. Then prepare a fresh break- in fuel/oil mixture of 16:1. Pour this fuel mixture into the fuel tank..... TO ME THIS SEEMS KINDA RICH..

2. Start the engine and allow it to warm up. Set the idle speed as described in chapter 3.

3. after the engine has sufficiently warmed up, ride the vehicle for 5-8 minutes as a moderate speed in the lower gears. Then stop the engine and remove the spark plugs. Both spark plugs should show a rich engine operating condition.

4. Reinstall the spark plugs and allow the engine to cool

5. Repeat step 3 for 5 minutes then shift briefly to higher gears while checking throttle response. Then stop the engine and remove the spark plugs. The sparl plugs should not show a lean or hot condition.

6. reinstall the spark plugs and allow the engine to cool.

7. Start the engine and ride the vehicle for 5 minutes. Full throttle may be used at higher gears but avoid prolonged steady running at one speed. Then stop the engine and remove the spark plugs. The spark plugs should not show a lean condition.

8. drain the left over break- in fuel/oil mixture from the fuel tank and refill with the mixture in chapter 3.

9. Start the enigne and allow it to warm up. Run the vehicle through its operating range in all gears. Then stop the engine and remove the sparl plugs. The electrodes should be dry and clean and the color of the insulation should be light to medium tan. If the insulation is white (indicating to lean fuel/air mixture) or if it is dark and oily ( indicating a too rich fuel/air mixture ratio), correct the condtion with a main jet change; both conditions produce excessive engine heat and can lead to damage to the rings, pistons and cylinders before the have had a chance to seat in.

10. reinstall the spark plugs and ride the vehicle for 10-15 minutes, avoiding full throttle operation. After this period, enigne break-in has been completed...

CREDITS: CLYMER M486-3

YAMAHA BANSHEE 1987-2002

SERVICE-REPAIR-MAINTENANCE

COPYRIGHT 2002 PRIMEDIA BUSINESS MAGAZINES AND MEDIA INC.

INFO TAKEN FROM PAGE 146 CHAPTER 5

that all seems knida extensive for a break-in ...maybe that is me....i have heard from a few people to do it this way as clymer states and i have also heard to break it in as though you stole it....so which would be better???

castor 927 is synthetic. they say not to use synthetic. but i have done 4 banshee engines running 927 at 20;1 and never had a problem. one tank of gas will be fine. just dont rev the thing to the moon until you have about 8- 10 hours on it and vary you throttle opening. dont hold it steady then after that break in i run about 44;1 with 927

I have run my banshee for almost 2 years using Quicksilver 2stroke oil at a 20:1 ratio and have never had a problem. I still have the original spark plugs in it and still runs perfect. Smokes just a little once warmed up but only when I gas the throttle. I have read alot of posts about what oil people where using and never saw anyone using the quicksilver oil. I guess it is not hurting my banshee. Well, thats just my info. Anyone has any comments about that please let me know.