Broken Footpeg Bolt..... what now?

sg30721

I had a bad wreck on my Banshee a few years ago when I was racing the MX nationals and the front bolt on the shifter side peg broke off... I was able to drill out the bolt but the threads are totally wasted.... what should I do now?

What is the best way to repair this?

Thanks...

I recently did this to mine. Not my idea it came from Banchetta, but it works great.

I ground off the flat metal piece completely off down to the frame . There is a large opening that will be left. I welded a nut to a thick washer(actually two washers welded togther). Smoothed her down with the bench grinder, slid it into the frame and welded it in. I think I used 7/16-20 heavyduty stuff from the hardware store. It holds up great and is a lot stronger than the weak original material. You'll probabably spend two bucks for hardware, about the tenth the price of a decent drill bit.

Go to Grainger or some other Industrial supply house and buy the correct Thread repair kit. Use the supplied drill. Drill it oversize. Tap it with the O/S tap and install the thread repair insert. No oversize bolts no hack jobs. no one will even notice it.

Thanks for all the info... ke398, do you have any pics of what it looks like after you weld the nut and washer?

I stopped by the cycle shop today and they advised once it has stripped out to do something such as that and weld a nut on it... That would be the strongest.

As far as looks are concerned, I dont plan on selling my Banshee so I dont care if it doesnt look exactly factory.

I had to drill and tap three bolt holes for my footpegs. I just found a bolt that was slightly bigger than the one that was already in there and matched it to the right bit/thread I needed and its worked great for 2 years now :)

I'd recommend buying a whole set of taps, etc...you never know when you'll strip out a thread!!! I usually strip one bolt/hole per repair :lol:

Thanks for all the info...  ke398, do you have any pics of what it looks like after you weld the nut and washer?

I stopped by the cycle shop today and they advised once it has stripped out to do something such as that and weld a nut on it... That would be the strongest.

As far as looks are concerned, I dont plan on selling my Banshee so I dont care if it doesnt look exactly factory.

401041[/snapback]

If you are any where near San diego i can put a helicoil in it for you. Its easy and would take 10 minutes to do.

dude you are makin this way harder than it is. drill it out and retap it to the next size up. theres no need to cut or weld anything...sounds like a hack job to me to cut and weld some wack ass nut and washer combo on there when you can drill and tap another bolt size and no one will ever notice it.

I read this thread last night (after a few beers) and was like how the hell do poeple break/strip all these bolts. Well started to put on my nerfs that i have had for over a year and a half, went to take the GRADE 8.8 bolt out and damn did it look short THE FUCKIN REST OF THE BOLT WAS STILL IN THERE so i am going to try and drill and tap it tom. but i never seem to have any luck. Maybe thats because i use such cheap tap sets :shrugani:

dude you are makin this way harder than it is. drill it out and retap it to the next size up. theres no need to cut or weld anything...sounds like a hack job to me to cut and weld some wack ass nut and washer combo on there when you can drill and tap another bolt size and no one will ever notice it.

401206[/snapback]

Not really, a washer and nut is exactly the way it come from the factory, it probably looks better though! I spent several hours and used a few expensive drill bits to try to get the bolt/broken extractor out. This took about a half hour is a lot stronger now.

My bolt broke when I came up short on a double... the Banshee flipped and landed on the nerf bar first... broke the nerf bar and bolt all at the same time. I would like to retap but after drilling out the leftover bolt there isnt much metal left to retap. It is hollow inside the bolt hole. The wall there looks fairly thin in my opinion and would prob. just strip again soon.