Shearer's vs. CPI's vs. T-5's.

Hey guys, I was just wondering, which of these pipes are best for drag racing on a stock shee, and a modded shee. I am looking for the best inframe drag pipes there is.

399545[/snapback]

Soo many variables. Each pipe will perform differently on different built motors. Most builders should recommend a pipe that compliments their porting best. Of course the best thing to do is have a set of custom pipes built to your porting specs, like custom shearers. So really there is no "best" pipe for ALL motors. The challenge is finding it. So the best of those 3 pipes is the one that syncronizes the return (scavenged) wave to your exhaust port (timing) before it closes. Also the pressure of this wave is very important. Which one is best for you ? I have no clue. :shrugani:

Soo many variables. Each pipe will perform differently on different built motors. Most builders should recommend a pipe that compliments their porting best. Of course the best thing to do is have a set of custom pipes built to your porting specs, like custom shearers. So really there is no "best" pipe for ALL motors. The challenge is finding it. So the best of those 3 pipes is the one that syncronizes the return (scavenged) wave to your exhaust port (timing) before it closes. Also the pressure of this wave is very important. Which one is best for you ? I have no clue.  :shrugani:

399631[/snapback]

Oh I see, so what you're saying, It's not the pipe itself but whats in the motor to match the pipe, But here's another question, Do pipes have a "max out" power?, meaning, Would one pipe eventually be better than another if you keep on modding? Oh and also, How do I figure out which is the best pipe from under the three variables you gave me? - Scavenged, timing, and the pressure of the wave?

Thanks guys B)

I think what he's saying is that you don't need to worry about that, your builder does. You tell a builder what you are looking for, and he'll come up with a port/pipe configuration that will suit your needs, based on your riding style.

Bingoooooooooooo!!!! :cheers:

I think what he's saying is that you don't need to worry about that, your builder does.  You tell a builder what you are looking for, and he'll come up with a port/pipe configuration that will suit your needs, based on your riding style.

399672[/snapback]

I have not run shears but have run cpis and nor Grand river racing suicide pipes and the cpi pulled hard all the way down the track but i think the suicide pipe pulls harder on top end,andless on bottem.

shearers arent as forgiving as the cpi are o n your port timing ,but the shearers do outperform them most of the time from my understanding :bolt: and my seat of the pants of my shearers definitly makes some awesome power IMO. t5 arent even in the same league as the other 2 are on a ported motor . go with the shearers :cheers:

Edited by rocketboy

For the price of in-frame drag pipes,your best bet is Custom Shearer's.It doesn't realy get any better than a pipe that is custom built to match the engine, and you woulnt realy pay anymore than you would for an off the shelf pipe..Although you say you are stock,so I would go with a cheaper set of used pipes like FMF,Toomey,Paul Turner ect...until you get the engine built the way you want/need.....Thats just my opinion.

this was my approach...

After I rode enough at my favorite spots, it became pretty apparent that a very large majority of the bikes that seemed fast were built by Redline Racing, which was a local shop in Oregon. Every single person I talked to had nothing but good things to say about Cameron's work.So, I called him up not knowing a damn thing about porting, and talked to him for probably 20 minutes about what I could do, and what the best bang for the $$ would be for performance and we went from there. He even recommended buying all of my parts from ebay, because he couldn't touch the prices I could find there.

So, I had seen Cameron's work, gotten good word of mouth by his customers, and had experienced his customer service, all of which were excellent.

Sorry if this turned out to sound like an infomercial

So...

I'd recommend checking around locally where you are planning to ride/race/etc. See who's got the fast bikes and ask them. People in this sport seem to be very very helpful and want to talk about their experiences good and bad. After awhile, you'll notice some patterns about certain builders, and you can go from there. Myself, I wouldn't send my stuff half way across the country, only to have my motor sit for a few weeks and eventually get farmed out to someone because the shop I sent it to is too damn busy and backed up, but that's just me.

When my banshee still had stock ports,I really liked the Toomey T-5's.

They even done good after I had it ported.I later switched to shearer pipes.It's hard to say how much the shearer pipes improved it because I also switched to alcohol carbs at the same time.The pipes and alcohol had too much power for the clutches I had.They didn't last very long.So,I'm fixing to order new clutches and see how it reacts.Is it wrong to hope it's fast enough to scare me? :shrugani:

Where do I get a builder and how much would it cost?  :cry:

399790[/snapback]

even companies online with well known names could be your engine builder (patriot, a&s, passion, dave moore, eric gorr, etc.), just look around. but although I would agree a local builder would be a best, you could send your cylinders to someone if you desire.