truck stero

I doubt I have the most, and not concerned, but here's what I have:

2003 Black F250 - 6" Lift on 35's

Kenwood x959 Head Unit (about to switch to a DDX 8017 DVD In-dash source Unit)

Front:

Pair - MB Quartz 1" Tweets

Pair - MB Quartz 5.25" Mids

Pair - MB Quartz 6.5" Midbass

Rear:

Pair - MB Quartz 5.25" Mids

Pair - Rockford Fosgate 8" Midbass

Pair - Rockford Fosgate 12" Power Subs

Amps:

Fosgate 551x - front tweets, 5.25" & rear 5.25"

Fosgate 851s - front 6.5" & rear 8"

Fosgate 1001bd - 1 per sub (total of 2)

Total of about 3,400 rated watts. Spec'ed at about 3,700 or 3,800 watts and sounds damn good. It was hard for me to decide between MB Quartz and Focal and I doubt either would've been a bad choice, but MB ended up with my vote.

Hey scott, Your subs under the rear seats or what?

393414[/snapback]

No, behind the rear seat. The amps are under the rear seat. I wanted the amps under the seat due to the extra room, hoping to be able to cool them better. :shrugani:

oh yea, 300 watt legacy door speakers, 200 watt legacy dash speakers, and a pop outta the dash 5 inch tv with dvd player :shrugani: , hey jeff, you wouldent happen to be going to the sport compact and truck blast off in syracuse at the end of the month would you? I'd like to check the whip out...

My comp system retired in 2001, 2 iasca invitationals and two time regional point champion.

Alpine IVA-C800, DVA-5205 & 604 changer, Symmetry EPX-2(E28), Audio Control-Epicenter & ESP-2, McIntosh Mc443 & Mc427 amps, Quart mids & highs, Kicker Xpl 12's, Streetwires 1 fd & 2 1/2 fd caps, Amptech alt. with stealth reg. Sony LCD in the dash

Just a few pics I have of some completed stuff. I keep mostly install pics for the presentation since judges can't see behind panels. :shrugani:

Picture037.jpg

MC427.jpg

Dashspkr.jpg

chngr.jpg

subbox1.jpg

Picture046.jpg

DoorandKick.jpg

PDR_00541.jpg

I like that Symmetry setup.  You been using it for awhile?

393521[/snapback]

Yea Scott, quite a long time, I bought it in 1995. I used Audio Control equipment before that and it was really hard to tune using them. Had to get in and out of vehicle several times to adjust them while using the RTA. The symmetry has the RDAT, remote data access terminal, and it can be brought to the outside of the vehicle and tune your system in real time. The mic would stay inside from the RTA, you could read the rta outside the vehicle and adjust accordingly. So really the unit is worth its weight in gold. The symmetry has been discountinued from production for a few yrs now but audio control makes a unit that is very similiar with a portable controller also, called the DQL.

Yea Scott, quite a long time, I bought it in 1995. I used Audio Control equipment before that and it was really hard to tune using them. Had to get in and out of vehicle several times to adjust them while using the RTA. The symmetry has the RDAT, remote data access terminal, and it can be brought to the outside of the vehicle and tune your system in real time. The mic would stay inside from the RTA, you could read the rta outside the vehicle and adjust accordingly. So really the unit is worth its weight in gold. The symmetry has been discountinued from production for a few yrs now but audio control makes a unit that is very similiar with a portable controller also, called the DQL.

393629[/snapback]

Yea, I got the Symmetry setup when it came out and used it for awhile until I changed vehicles and got out of comps. They really are pretty nice, even today. I've thought about getting another, you can find em on Ebay sometimes, but the need really isn't there for me. I haven't heard much about the DQL, but haven't been deep in it in awhile.

Hey RNBRAD, is what you said about the Kickers only particular to the L7's or solobarics? I have a pair of the Kicker CompVR 12's and when I doubled the wattage I noticed a huge difference in the sound quality and frequency range (mainly low frequencies). I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just trying to get more details :)

I know the Kickers are power hungry subs, using the amount of power you could efficently use on multiple subs of other brands...Considering that my subs have a continous rating of 400 watts, with a peak of 600, I couldn't imagine that anything over 100 watts of amp power would be "useless" for lack of better terms :shrugani:

Considering that my subs have a continous rating of 400 watts, with a peak of 600, I couldn't imagine that anything over 100 watts of amp power would be "useless" for lack of better terms :shrugani:

393901[/snapback]

You'd think it was the opposite, but actually, the less power you use, the harder the sub works. Also, people typically will turn the gains higher to compensate which, in turn, works the sub even harder. Using more power makes the sub sound better and perform better more efficiently. In most cases, it's better to run more power than recommended with the gains turned down a little than it is to run a lot less power, say half or less, with the gains turned up. Consider it like this, a 90hp motor needs dang near full throttle to get it to 100mph, so you have it buried and working it's ass off to get there, then compare it to a 500hp motor and it doesn't take hardly any effort to get it to 100. Same principle, more power = less work.

So, if you have a sub with a rating of 400 watts RMS, then it's best to match that as close as possible and it'd be better to have 500 RMS rather than 300 RMS.

For example, the L7's (750W RMS) need more power than the L5's (600W RMS). The L5's will sound better with 400W of power than the L7's will, because the L7's need more power to move the speaker the same distance, if that makes sense. The L5's aren't necessarily better or worse, they just are designed to use less power. You can make a pretty good sounding system with L5's and not a lot of power.

I'm not arguing with anyone, but in my opinion, 100W would be working that L7 to death and it wouldn't sound good at all. Remember also that he's talking about two subs, so you'd need double the watts to put that number to each sub.

Dunno if that helps any.

Scott

Hey RNBRAD, is what you said about the Kickers only particular to the L7's or solobarics? I have a pair of the Kicker CompVR 12's and when I doubled the wattage I noticed a huge difference in the sound quality and frequency range (mainly low frequencies). I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just trying to get more details

Just a heads up, There new amps suck!! Just my 2 cents, there old ones are the ones with the power :headbang::headbang:

I was going to get 2 rockford p3 10's with a 300 watt 2 channel amp rockford highs and mids already in and a folded horn box. What do you guys think? I want to do  my system with all rockford? :confused:

394493[/snapback]