Rings or Stator Coil

My buddies Banshee started having trouble starting. You could push start it.

But he can't kick start the thing. Compression reading was at 95.

He took it in to CSA (Cycle Ski and ATV) in Michigan and they said two shot glasses full of water fell out of the stator area and they said the coil was bad that is built in the stator. We talked to another shop and they said the problem was in the rings because you can push start it to get it to run.

Just wondering what the experts on this forum think the problem might be.

... Banshee started having trouble starting. You could push start it.

But he can't kick start the thing. Compression reading was at 95. ... We talked to another shop and they said the problem was in the rings because you can push start it to get it to run.

Just wondering what the experts on this forum think the problem might be.

391023[/snapback]

I don't claim to be an expert, but I'd say the second shop was pretty close. 95psi compression is pretty close to a no run bike. ... You need to find out why. Is it due a new top end? (Or at least rings. ... Time to have a look).

Rare.

Rare is right. its time to look into some some piston parts. but beware, not all testers are accurate. you want a reall good one to get correct readings. there is a night and day diffference between a $250 snap on tester and a 18 buck napa tester.

It's a tough call because your comp. is in the danger zone.If you have stock cast pistons in there you're risking crank damage.When the stock pistons go they like to drop chunks in your crank case. The skirts like to break on those things as well.I know through expirience <_<

Nothing beats a fresh top end on a shee.The option is yours if you wnat to ride.I'm just giving you the worst case scenario.

If that engine isn't to old and both cylinders read exactly 95psi I'd try another guage to make sure it's not a pilot jet or something simple. Usually when a banshee engine wears it's one cylinder or the other that is low. Now, it is very possible that they did wear the same just from use. I'd try another guage and go from there. If it's still low, rebuild before you completly destroy your head, cyliders, crank. It's trbl.