airbox?

i was wondering if i should keep my airbox on or off, i never ride in mudd, and if i ride near any water i ride as slow as possible threw it or i go around. i mostly ride on dirt trails and local sand pits. what do you guys recomend? and if i take it off can someone post a pic or somthing about the coolent res. relocation?

i was wondering if i should keep my airbox on or off, i never ride in mudd, and if i ride near any water i ride as slow as possible threw it or i go around.  i mostly ride on dirt trails and local sand pits.  what do you guys recomend? and if i take it off can someone post a pic or somthing about the coolent res. relocation?

379797[/snapback]

I would keep it and just pull the lid off and rejet. You never know when you might "have" to go through water in the trails....better safe than sorry!! Doesn't take much water to get in those pod filters and do a number on your engine! :cheers:

I would only ditch the airbox if you plan on NEVER riding through water (or wet conditions). Its just not worth the risk imo. I ditched mine but I ride sand only and never on rainy days.

Edited by 05bansh

86 the box AND the resevoir!  Click some K&Ns right to the carbs.  Looks sick.  Clean underneath.  Makes wrenching and cleaning on the bike a ton easier.

I only ride sand though

379947[/snapback]

I agree, and I ride mud and water. I do go very slow through water, and have NEVER had a problem with them.

Ditch the box.Let that engine breath.Don't forget that with all that extra air,you'll most likely have to jet it fatter.I've never had an air box on my banshee and have had no problems,just can't bust thru water holes.

cut that back of the lid from the back 2 clamps and back if u feel insecure about taking the whole lid off, so u can still clamp it down. if u feel unsafe about mud/dirt/or whatever getting in there form cutting it, go buy an airbox outerwear and place it in that spot.

Edited by dEcon

If you already have a "Pro Flo" type air filter set up, cut away everything around it (see picture). You get massive air flow and better protection than clamp on type filters. This is how i set up me and the wife banshees for Glamis/dune riding only....hence the name sand or nothing!

works good, but jet big.

Edited by sandornothing

Take a look at the Toomey 2 into 1 air filter system with an outerwear.

Foam will flow more air when dirty...and the outwear helps a bunch with water/sand.

I puts the air filter up under your seat more, instead of out in the open off the back of the carbs.

I use that and the pods. I keep em both clean and ready to go...for a long weekend. It's like having a "spare" air filter...

I haven't noticed a single bit of performance difference between the two of 'em...

Take a look...

http://www.toomey.com/html/newfilter_store.htm

I have seen a few people running with just a box and 86 the lid. That way you have a little protection just in case you come flying around a corner and find yourself slidin' through a puddle the size of Lake Michigan. Been there done that............ :clap:

This was what I was thinking about doin' what do you guys think? It gives it a lot more air flow but yet limits accidental drownings.

I do like the idea of getting rid of the entire airbox, but that is only when I have to wrench on the motor. :cheers: