Why is he faster?

01CandyBlue

Hello all, I have been a fairly avid reader while building my first banshee, I bought a 2001 about a month ago, tore it down a few weeks ago and did some mods, Port and Polish, Trinity stage 4 head with 17 domes, trinity pipes, trinity timing plate at +5, welded crank, and the shift star mod, my buddy bought one that has a timing plate, port and polish, weicos, possibly lightened flywheel, milled head and a dirtdigger, and a 1/2 reed spacer and he is much faster, I run better gas and have new plugs compared to his that he has not even changed, my jets are right and i am maybe 50 pounds heavier then him, we are all very competitive and i am wondering what would further help me, I am getting v-force 2's and my flywheel lightened, but what else would help?

Wait... maybe this would also help, my power band is smooth, my port and polish was done by my father and is perfect, the exhaust slightly wider and mirror smooth, the intake i was changed mildly and bead blasted for texture and the transfer ports were cleaned up, mine is +2 rear length and very predicatable to ride while his power band sneaks up on you, you will hit the gas and it will move and then suddenly pick the front end up and u have to hold, i dont think it is to fun to ride like that but would maybe suiggest much bigger port work?

Alot depends on your setup a +2 in dirt can make you loose some traction and a lightend flywheel lets you rev faster and go through the gears faster and also weight can be a factor. Pipes and porting can affect your performance in different ways try to match them if possible like a mid to high port goes with a mid to high pipe if you mix them up you can get unexpected results.

The main difference is probably in your port and polish work. Just a clean up port job will add a couple horses to a full out drag in the neighborhood of 16 to 20 horses. So differences in porting can play a big role and this may be partially the result of what your seeing.

How much is he beating you by? What type of gearing and tires are you running? It's all about traction and getting your power to the ground. If that isn't happening then forget it.

I've heard that 50 pounds roughly equals about one full bike length in a 300ft drag race.

Give us more details as to what you running on your bike and we can assist you a little better.

OK, I am at 13 and 41, the gearing feels ok, i had stock on there at 14 and 45, I changed to renthal sprockets and a did x ring, we have the same tire, the short haulers with 8 scoops, his are broken up badly though, my bike feels like it gets traction, i want haulers with ten scoops on ten inch wheel, i think it looks better, i have razor fronts and he has dirt tires, I am in utah and on sand mountian pulling in like third gear half throttle i can still pull my front end up, i think it hooks up ok...

There's actually a lot of guys that ride GNCC that way as well. It tears clutches up, but if it works for them to be faster :shrugani:

Another way I've heard of and have not tried is to start the way stated above. Instead of not using the clutch, don't let go of the gas and do use the clutch. You'll have to be good with the clutch though... lol.

319079[/snapback]

your buddies porting is probably vastly more aggresive than yours he may very well have

15-20 horses on you all the launching tactics in the world arent goona help you there.id say cut that flywheel ,v force ,then do some real porting to match your exhaust system,then youll stand a better chance :headbang:

I think if you bought some Renthal Handlebars then you might beet him! :jesterlaugh: How do you know if you haven't even opened the thing up yet sounds like it'll do the hill in 4th if it does it in third at half throttle and pulls the tires when you punch it. Maybe this weekend we can find out if it is faster.

I DON'T KNOW I BEAT HIM UP THE HILL AT NIGHT DRUNK ON MINE SO WE AREN'T FAR OFF HIS HEALS I'M PRETTY SURE I'LL TAKE HIM UP THE BACK SIDE. YOU WOULD BE SURPRISED WHAT YOUR BIKE IS CAPABLE OF ONCE YOU GET GOOD ENOUGH TO PUSH IT A LITTLE. IT IS DAMN HARD TO TAKE IT THROUGH THE WOOPS IN FIFTH BUT DOING THAT WILL PUT YOU AHEAD OF HIM ONCE THE HILL GETS SMOOTH HE MIGHT CATCH YOU BUT MAYBE NOT AND GET YOUR ASS BACK ON THE SEAT AND MAKE THE FRONT LIGHTER AND HELP OUT THE TRACTION TO THE REAR. THOSE TEN PADDLES YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT WILL HELP TOO. OF COURSE MY WEIGHT IS A BIT LESS AND BLACK IS A BIT BETTER THAN BLUE TOO SO YOU HAVE SOME OBSTACLES TO OVERCOME. GUESS WHAT DENNY IS GONNA SELL ME HIS TIMING PLATE CUZ HIS NEW STATOR COMES WITH ONE AND HE IS NOT GONNA MAKE THE DUNES THIS WEEKEND BUT I CAN GO GET IT TONIGHT IF YOU LEND ME YOUR FLYWHEEL TOOL I'LL HAVE THAT ON MY BIKE FOR THIS WEEKEND.

FOR YOU EXPERTS OUT THERE WHAT CAUSES THE BIKE TO HAVE A REALLY WEAK LOW END AND WHEN IT HITS THE POWERBAND IT IS LIKE TURNING THE LIGHTS ON IT GOES FROM DEAD TO SCREAMING. THE ONLY WAY I KNOW OF TO DESCRIBE IT IS LIKE HITTING A WALL. IS THIS DUE TO THE PORTING? IF SO IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET THE POWER BUT STILL KEEP IT SMOOTH WHEN YOU DO YOUR PORT WORK. MY BIKE IS SET UP SIMILAR TO CANDY BLUE'S AND I CAN BEAT THIS OTHER KID UP THE HILL BUT THAT HAS ONLY HAPPENED THE LAST TIME I RAN HIM AND ALSO MOST OF THAT IS BECAUSE I AM A LITTLE MORE EXPERIENCED OF A RIDER I BEAT HIM THROUGH THE WOOPS AND HE CATCHES ME ON THE FLAT THEN THROUGH THE WOOPS AT THE TOP I PASS HIM AGAIN.

I think porting is what is keeping you from winning. For drag racing a light switch power band is better, but for trail riding sucks.

If you have most of the things from triniity, let them port your cylinders for mid to top end power or MX porting. Also, change that gearing to 15/41. With a 13 tooth front sprocket you may have better acceleration but you also may have to shift a lot and have less miles per hour.

Is very important to have the proper pipes with the proper porting or else your shee will run like crap.

In my opinion the reed spacers do not add more HP. I think they were only built so that we could put bigger carbs without hitting the clutch arm. They tent to soften the band, because of a loss of power. (your buddy has spacers on his shee)

Running a lot of compression will not make you faster, lightning the flywheel neither, porting will take you there.

Edited by richybanshee