Balls Vs. Hemi

Banshee0028

Heim joints CAN BE stronger assuming you arnt using a dinky wink little heim. The term "heim" came from the company H.G. Heim that was granted the patents for the design. Heim joints date back to WWII. Germans used these rod ends on their planes. Heims started out being used on airplanes but soon became used in the power transmission industry. There are currently over 15 US companies that produce these types of rod ends. They range from stamped steel ends to stainless steel ones. The 17-4 PH stainless rod ends are prob the strongest of rod ends. If your links are going to see a lot of side load you'll want to avoid using a heim as this will wear them out quickly. Heims are less likely to bind up compared to ball joints which are limited to the amount they can move.. The whole thing about using heims and mounting them is very important. A heim mounted in double shear means that the heim joint has mounting material on both sides of it with a bolt passing through it all. The shear stress that passes through the heim joint then is passed onto the bolt. If the bolt is mounted in a double shear mount, then the stress goes through more than one point of the bolt. There is more than one plane for the force to go through. A single shear mount only has one plane for the force to be transfered through adn thus is weaker than a double shear mount of the same size. The double shear is stronger than a single shear BUT if you use a large enough bolt ia single shear mount shouldnt be a problem. With very little wear on a heim it is possible for it to pop out. where as the ball joint would have to wear a humongous hole for it to pop out...but would most likely break with a little play....uh...i think thats all for now....oh ya btw heims DO need to be maintained and checked more so than ball joints.....ball joints having a boot keeps them out of contact with the sand, dirt, blah blah blah that heims are more likely to see. I guess you could relate these two to an O-Ring chain vs. a Non O-Ring chain.... the non o-ring CAN last as long as an o-ring chain if maintained and lubed properly.....

Edited by jsyi

Oh ya I forgot to add....from what i've heard ASR uses' some real crappy heims on their upper arms......If you get arms I'd go with quicksand....i've heard good stuff bouts them....plus I got a real anal friend taht just ordered a set....he wouldnt order em if he didnt thkn they were worthy.....oh ya but also cuz they were more in his price range.... :headbang: dont cry matt if you read this:)

Oh ya I forgot to add....from what i've heard ASR uses' some real crappy heims on their upper arms......If you get arms I'd go with quicksand....i've heard good stuff bouts them....plus I got a real anal friend taht just ordered a set....he wouldnt order em if he didnt thkn they were worthy.....oh ya but also cuz they were more in his price range.... :headbang:  dont cry matt if you read this:)

285182[/snapback]

My ASR uppers are in great shape and had them for quite a while

Oh ya I forgot to add....from what i've heard ASR uses' some real crappy heims on their upper arms......If you get arms I'd go with quicksand....i've heard good stuff bouts them....plus I got a real anal friend taht just ordered a set....he wouldnt order em if he didnt thkn they were worthy.....oh ya but also cuz they were more in his price range.... :headbang:

Oh ya I forgot to add....from what i've heard ASR uses' some real crappy heims on their upper arms......If you get arms I'd go with quicksand....i've heard good stuff bouts them....plus I got a real anal friend taht just ordered a set....he wouldnt order em if he didnt thkn they were worthy.....oh ya but also cuz they were more in his price range.... :headbang:

Heim joints CAN BE stronger assuming you arnt using a dinky wink little heim.  The term "heim" came from the company H.G. Heim that was granted the patents for the design. Heim joints date back to WWII.  Germans used these rod ends on their planes.  Heims started out being used on airplanes but soon became used in the power transmission industry.  There are currently over 15 US companies that produce these types of rod ends. They range from stamped steel ends to stainless steel ones.  The 17-4 PH stainless rod ends are prob the strongest of rod ends.  If your links are going to see a lot of side load you'll want to avoid using a heim as this will wear them out quickly.  Heims are less likely to bind up compared to ball joints which are limited to the amount they can move.. The whole thing about using heims and mounting them is very important. A heim mounted in double shear means that the heim joint has mounting material on both sides of it with a bolt passing through it all. The shear stress that passes through the heim joint then is passed onto the bolt. If the bolt is mounted in a double shear mount, then the stress goes through more than one point of the bolt. There is more than one plane for the force to go through. A single shear mount only has one plane for the force to be transfered through adn thus is weaker than a double shear mount of the same size. The double shear is stronger than a single shear BUT if you use a large enough bolt ia single shear mount shouldnt be a problem. With very little wear on a heim it is possible for it to pop out. where as the ball joint would have to wear a humongous hole for it to pop out...but would most likely break with a little play....uh...i think thats all for now....oh ya btw heims DO need to be maintained and checked more so than ball joints.....ball joints having a boot keeps them out of contact with the sand, dirt, blah blah blah that heims are more likely to see.  I guess you could relate these two to an O-Ring chain vs. a Non O-Ring chain....  the non o-ring CAN last as long as an o-ring chain if maintained and lubed properly.....

285180[/snapback]

jsyi, great info man. I think that is everything I ever wanted to know about Heim joints .... :bolt:

I think I am going to look into them some more before deciding....However if I do get them it would def be from QS.... :headbang:

Ive ran the ASR's all season, and for the price their pretty damn slick (heims, structure, bolt grade, ect). Ive crashed twice and got away with only a bent front rim. Yes, everyone says they are cheap, but mine are holding their own compared to the stock setup.You do have to blow them out with compressed air when youre done riding for the day or else that little nylon sleeve inside the heim wont last.

Yeah, sure theyre crap compared to what Gust or Ellis runs on their bikes, but not everyone can shit out that kind of money.

Arms, heims, hardware, tie rods, brake lines, warranty (probably B.S.), all this under 400.00 shipped to your door from that dude on ebay.

Im not trying to advertise, just trying to make a point.

Ive ran the ASR's all season, and for the price their pretty damn slick (heims, structure, bolt grade, ect). Ive crashed twice and got away with only a bent front rim. Yes, everyone says they are cheap, but mine are holding their own compared to the stock setup.You do have to blow them out with compressed air when youre done riding for the day or else that little nylon sleeve inside the heim wont last.

Yeah, sure theyre crap compared to what Gust or Ellis runs on their bikes, but not everyone can shit out that kind of money.

Arms, heims, hardware, tie rods, brake lines, warranty (probably B.S.), all this under 400.00 shipped to your door from that dude on ebay.

Im not trying to advertise, just trying to make a  point.

285825[/snapback]

I agree....My ASRs' are great for me and what my budget allows. All the riding I do puts these to work and I am amazed everytime. To me ...the ASRs' are perfect and built stronger than stock, but not to those who swear by Lonestar....or Houser and etc. roost on!

We're not going to be mounting a heim in double shear on anyting on a Banshee. You can get a teflon lined Rod end (Heim joint) to last just as long as a Ball joint. However, on the end of an A-Arm, you must use what is called a "high angle" rod end. Otherwise, the rod end will bind when the suspension cycles. This could be changed by re-designing the outer knuckle, and rotating the rod end 90 degres. But now, we have alot of side loads that will rear their ugly heads.... IMHO, it's 6 1/2 dozen to the other......