Baja 1000 - Who's comin with me

sredish

Allright now we're talkin, heh.

Sredish, I'm not so sure top speed and mass hp is gonna make or break Baja, I think reliability and consistency play a bigger role. That and who's got the biggest fuel tank, heh. 1000 miles and 40 hours is gonna take it's toll...

Right on Meat, we're gonna need all the help we can get, but any chance you can make it over here? I mean, I'll do whatever I can for anyone that can get close. I know I can get ahold of a 4-door F250 so if some guys want to fly into El Paso, TX or anywhere between Roswell and the starting line, I can pick 'em up. I'll have a gooseneck trailer and maybe a big enclosed one by then so I can definitely haul some quads too...

How many riders? I like Big Blues' idea, the more the better BUT the entry fee is gonna hold us back, we need to find out if that price is per individual rider or for a team...

Who's riding ? We got 3 for certain right? Me, Scott and Mike. I'm sure I can get Chris (ridingorhiding), Josh (ABM-Banshee) and our WOR teammate Jason to ride as well, and possibly Dustin (warwgn). For a 40-hour race I think the more the better, even with a 6-gal tank we'll need to pit a Banshee roughly every 2-3 hours, if we swap riders at the same time, we could have as many as 20 guys in the saddle on different sections...

Where\how we gonna build a baja banshee? Good question, we got options right now, we can build one from scratch or use one of our own. I'm down for either, and I'm offering mine if that's what we decide on but it's certainly not set in stone.

chase team members? We got a few now, here again the more the better I think.

parts donations? Anything off my quad is fair game.

sponsorships? I listed mine, anybody else? I have a good letter drafted for sponsorship requests (at least it has worked for me so far, heh), so if anyone knows who I should send one to for the Baja effort, speak up.

chase vehicles? Same as above, couple guys spoke up, anyone else?

spare parts? Same as above, anything I got (not a whole helluva lot lol) is on the table.

Don't write it off so soon fro, it's a year away, how the hell do you know what you're doing next November?! Heh.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a 40-hour race I think the more the better, even with a 6-gal tank we'll need to pit a Banshee roughly every 2-3 hours, if we swap riders at the same time, we could have as many as 20 guys in the saddle on different sections...

282759[/snapback]

Alright, two things we need to check on.

1st - The Baja race may have a drawing type entry. What I mean is, so many people try to enter, that they have to draw for the actual teams. So, we need to check this out and see what if it's so, and if so, is the chance good or slim of being drawn.

2nd - I'm not sure how many drivers there can be on one team. This may be a regulated thing, only allowing so many, so we need to check on this before we get too far along. If we have that many people that want to drive, we may have to either back some off to the chase team, or consider a 2nd team.

I also have a good friend who is itching hard to be involved, preferably as a driver, but I'm sure being a part of the chase team would be a thrill nonethess.

Cool. Where's the next move fellas?

Sounds like a good time, but you seriously need to get everything in gear as of yesterday. It is going to take several chase trucks, each with about 2 spare parts for everything that you could possibly think of. This is a huge task to undertake, especially since not one person has ever raced something of this magnitude before. I know there is a certain ammount of prestige in racing the big daddy, but wouldn't it be better to start off with something on a more managable scale, say the Baja 500? I'm not trying to rain on anybodys parade here, I just think a team with no experience in Mexico racing might want to get their feet wet with something a little bit smaller.

Either way, more power to you as to whatever you guys actually end up doing, I know that I would love to participate in that sport. Hell, who knows, when I finish school next semester, I just might be on one of the R+D engineers out there trying to figure out what the hell went wrong; you guys have your dreams and I have mine. :D

At any rate good luck and I would like to see this pan out I think as much as you guys want to make it happen. Below are some links that I just quickly pulled up, maybe they will be of some help,

www.score-international.com

website is giving me issues no matter what computer I try, but at least the proper contact info is there.

www.baja.net/articles/2001baja1000win.html

www.score-international.com/ baja1000/images/04B1000entryForm.pdf

Sounds like a good time, but you seriously need to get everything in gear as of yesterday.  It is going to take several chase trucks, each with about 2 spare parts for everything that you could possibly think of.  This is a huge task to undertake, especially since not one person has ever raced something of this magnitude before.  I know there is a certain ammount of prestige in racing the big daddy, but wouldn't it be better to start off with something on a more managable scale, say the Baja 500?

282800[/snapback]

I hear what your saying. It's definitely a big mountain to try and tackle. Planning is a necessity and we all need to decide what's gonna happen and get it figured out and get going. The idea of a smaller race is not a bad idea, and being ready by July (or is it June) is not even a consideration, but the following one is something to think about.

if this is serious, i will come out, possibly next year but if not, deffo the next again year. i will be a rider or crew and i can bring sponsors from over here with me?

RSTB says iv not to count him out either so theres another person!

please let us know what your outcome will be :D

we'll need a team manager, someone in charge making the important decisions.

I think everyone who wants to ride on the team should post why they should be on the team, a resume of sorts. Memebers of the forum should have a voice on who races, vote style maybe.

I think the norm is a 4 man team.

Edited by Meat

Count me in. I've got a 14 foot enclosed and can pick up people anywhere inbetween Orange County and the border for the ride down. Once there I'm down for whatever is needed. I'll ride, pit, chase, fetch water, milk a cow...I'm such an easy slut.

For riders why don't we schedule some prelims in different spots around the country, preferably with a baja type of setting. I know just about every riding spot in So Cal is nearly identical to Baja. Anybody who's interested needs to show up. Try to make it as even as possible: same machine and same course for each rider. The guys with the best times advance.

I'm sure we'll all need to spend some money on this endeavor. But with a large enough group I'm sure we could manage small donations from everyone. If needed I could kick $100 to the party, not including beer.

For the bike plan on every piece breaking twice, and having about 15 minutes to fix it right. We need a couple complete engines, frames, brakes, bars, levers, shocks, swingarms, a arms, bearings, etc. I could prolly get ahold of a gas-powered welder...might come in handy. Everybody chasing needs to know a shee backwards and forwards and be able to rebuild one in record time. Riders need to be guys that love to abuse themselves on their machines. If your typical riding weekend consists of 50 miles that ain't gonna cut it. Even I get pretty worn out on some of my 80 mile days.

Also I just found out that I can probably supply a whole team of nurses. My wife's in school but will have graduated by then. I can think of at least 2 girls from her class that would bend over backwards for the opportunity to come on this trip. And yes, they're single!

baja 1000= HELL if i were you all i would try the 500 first then learn the course and the tackle the great one. dont get me wrong i do not doubt any of your abilities but the baja bites HARD you Race in the day time and stay alive at night have the fast mother fuckers in the day time and the cruzers at night. and all the questons about costs more money the marrier people the more the better and for beer you better bring lots and lots of kegs. i live in vegas and you are more than welcome to use my garage to do what ever you have to do i MIGHT be able to get a sponser that could possible help you all out greatly but i will work on that. i have a dodge 4x4 and a toy hauler that i can chase for you. Mexican police are dicks they are 14 year old kids with ar15's and can blow you away at ANY TIME. you are only allowed one bike but you can replace everything on it except the frame. the baja is GOD and it will let you know about it in a heart beat. you HAVE to go down to pre run do it 3 or 4 or 5 o 6 or as many times as you can. the mexicans will make booby traps and try to either hurt you or make you shit yourself and yes they mostly work. entry in baja is if you got the cash and you equipment passes the tech then you can race. there is a drawing for starting positions but that is it. remember you will have trophy trucks and class 1's on your ass in about 3 hours so go fast.

baja 1000= HELL if i were you all i would try the 500 first then learn the course and the tackle the great one. dont get me wrong i do not doubt any of your abilities but the baja bites HARD you Race in the day time and stay alive at night have the fast mother fuckers in the day time and the cruzers at night. and all the questons about costs more money  the marrier people the more the better and for beer you better bring lots and lots of kegs. i live in vegas and you are more than welcome to use my garage to do what ever you have to do i MIGHT be able to get a sponser that could possible help you all out greatly but i will work on that. i have a dodge 4x4 and a toy hauler that i can chase for you. Mexican police are dicks they are 14 year old kids with ar15's and can blow you away at ANY TIME. you are only allowed one bike but you can replace everything on it except the frame. the baja is GOD and it will let you know about it in a heart beat. you HAVE to go down to pre run do it 3 or 4 or 5 o 6 or as many times as you can. the mexicans will make booby traps and try to either hurt you or make you shit yourself and yes they mostly work. entry in baja is if you got the cash and you equipment passes the tech then you can race. there is a drawing for starting positions but that is it. remember you will have trophy trucks and class 1's on your ass in about 3 hours so go fast.

283579[/snapback]

sound like my kinda fun.....

Mike