GSXR 600, 1000, or harley davidson?

Bike Wreck

Look that over and think about this.

That bike is 6 months old.

He payed 8200 for it.

He wrecked it insurance is going to give him 4500

That won't even pay off what he owes.

My advice and what I am doing is buying a uesd bike, that is alittle older.

like a 99 or a 2000 small 600 maybe not even a super sport bike something like a ninja or a katana or maybe even Yamaha's 600 (yz fzr whatever it is :P)

I know some people call them bitch bikes or sissy bikes but after taking my roomate to the hospitol and watchin him wince in pain, I know I'm not ready to jump on something like an R6 plus I can't afford to spend that kind of money when I wreck it. Cause it's not a matter of how you wreck it, its a matter of when! :flush:

There is a ninja 500 for sale near me. How would a ninja 500 or ninja 250 be?

500 ninja is a great bike to start on and for commuting and fast enough to get you a ticket.

Yup. Nothing wrong with those 500's and 250's. Wish I had one for commuting, and for weekend commutes. I learned on my '93 900RR but rode really gently until getting a feel for it. With patience you can learn on anything, but if you're one of those that just gets on and pins the throttle... eh.. start smaller :)

I picked up a 2004 YZF600R Thundercat last spring and love it. :headbang: Plenty of power, low Ins. looks good and it has a thicker seat than the rest of the crochrockets. This is my first and only street bike but it felt the most comfortable out of all I sat on :blink: . And it seems like anyone with half a brain would not recomend anything larger than a 600 for an 18 year old, hell even a 600 will get you in over your head before you know it

My Ins. is $300.00 a year :dance:

Edited by dittmer

When i had mine, i called tons of places for quotes. I got quotes of like $3000!!

anyway i kept callin and found "Farmers" they insured me on my 600 when i was 19 for something like $380/yr. that was dirt cheap for full coverage! but they stopped insuring those types of bike the following year. I found a lot of places wont even insure them

I laid my cbr down at about 55 on graduation day of 2000 and I dont really care for em ever since. I had another cbr 600 smokin joes edition and it was nice. comfy, quick but I just didnt care for 2 wheels ever since I laid mine down. I have an unrepairable dammaged sholder bone that allows my sholder to dislocate easily and it is very hard to get back in. (quickest at the ER was 45 min, longest took over 2 1/2 hours just to relocate my sholder) and I have scars up my forarm, on both sholders, on both knees and on my right foot. my advice to you is DONT GET ON IT WITH A BUZZ ON... thats all...

Get the gixxer, doesn't matter what size, they are ALL fast. I've seen 600's pull 10 flat in the 1/4 beside me on my 750...Its not the motor as much as the rider...90% or more of most riders can't take their bikes to the limits, so size doesn't really matter. ONly after 120mph, then the 750 and 1000's kick in hard over the 600's....Don't buy a harley, they are heavy and can't be layed over to far or you'll scrape the foot pads. I did this once going around a corner at 50mph on a back road. I wasn't even that far over. Scared the hell out of me. What if I had to avoid a car or animal. I'd end up laying the bike down because of all the shit hanging off it will be rubbing...f*ck that, they are worthless. They don't ride any smoother, just a different body positioning. For twice the price and half the handling and performance, Harley are way overrated......Then you have to add oil on every ride.... <_<

Ah yes, I too was once in your same exact position, 18 and lookin for a hot rod. Let me tell you exactly what you should do. The best bang for your buck conscerning reliability, comfort, performance, and maintenance is an year from early to late 90's CBR 600. They can be ridden hard and put away wet every day and remain rock solid on reliability as long as they are resonably maintained and not wrecked hard enough to damage the frame. I had one that I rode untill 40K miles. The cam chain needs replacing around not too long after 40K which is expensive though. Thats where I started and now I ride a Ducati 996.

If you don't want to cary full coverage, you definitly don't want to spend more than about $3K (unless your rich) because if you don't want full coverage you mest be prepared to possibly loose all the money you've invested in the event you total the bike. If you have a lot of 2 wheel dirt experience then you will make the transition to crotch rocket quickly. Be careful in parking lots, slow speed turning in an oily surface can put you on your ass real eas.

Also look in Dennis Kirk, MAW, or other online motorcycle warehouse type sales and get an inexpensive full leather 2 piece suit, gloves, boots and helmet. You can put together a full set of AGV riding gear for like $750. You will walk away from most wrecks where you dont hit any object without a scratch with leathers, otherwise even a low speed crash in Levis jeans will result in some nasty road rash. Yes, been there done that, don't make that mistake. You also need to learn to "turn off" the agressiveness of your riding when it would be stupid to haul ass like when in town or in a parking lott. Save it for the rural back roads or beter yet, at a track.

As for Harly's :yank::flush:

yeah look for an F3. those are damn good bikes and were honda's 600cc racebike until 97 i think when the F4 came out. im not a fan of ducatis. to me, they dont look good, the valves are shit, and the clutch noise is horrific.

Edited by therail