The most powerful engine in the world.

how do they egt the motors from the factory to the shipyards? it's not like they can just throw it into the back of a truck.

They split the cases.

The cases are bolted together similiar to a Banshee engine, splits above and below the crank, futhermore, the crank and the case halves can be split into longitudinal sections as well (Take a look at the pic of the 9 cylinder engine, 2nd last pic) and you'll see the bolts that hold it together.

These pieces are then loaded on a barge, typically here, the factories for large engines are located adjacent to a waterway and the barge is then pulled by a tugboat to the shipyard. Location, location...

As you guys can see, I have a hard-on for this stuff, so any questions, let it rip!

I also have thousands of pictures on my office comp, so I can post some up if you have any particular questions.

Someone mentioned cleanliness, well at the factory the cleanliness isn't a problem, as everything is indoors. Once they start assembling the cases onboard the hull, is where the problems start. The problem here is that the ship structure has to be constructed around the engine, and it is all outdoors.

Welding, grinding, spraypainting, gritblasting, you name it, they do it all while they are assembling the engine and no matter how carefull you are, some shit is always going to get in there. Once assembled, they will clean it out by wiping and vacuuming followed by oil flushing of all the lube oil lines and bearings etc.

Uh, I do have one question. How the hell do you start this thing?

There is a guy just a couple miles from me that rebuilds topends for tug boats. I am amazed at his cylinder hone. The machine is over 14' tall. I thought the parts he worked on were amazing, but its nothing compared to that motor.

Uh, I do have one question.  How the hell do you start this thing? 

There is a guy just a couple miles from me that rebuilds topends for tug boats.  I am amazed at his cylinder hone.  The machine is over 14' tall.  I thought the parts he worked on were amazing, but its nothing compared to that motor.

Starting is by direct injection of 30Bar (about 427psi I think), compressed air.

A distibuter at the end of the cam directs the compressed air to the cylinder which has its piston slightly after TDC.

Interestingly here, (you can see I love this stuff :lol: ) this engine can be reversed, that means it is started in the opposite direction. Sooo, as the engine is directly coupled to the propeller shaft and the propeller is a of a fixed blade design, this means that for the ship to use the engine to stop the ship's movement ahead, the engine is stopped and re-started in the opposite direction.

Typically, we can get about 14-16 consecutive starts before we run out of compressed air, so air is consumed wisely during maneuvering.

If you use the little ol' F=PxA equation and you substitute 30Bar air pressure and using a bore of 98cm to calculate the area of the piston, you end up with a force of 226288 kg or 498881 lbs to force the piston down to turn the crank.

The air start distributer is connected to a chain driven cam, so, for the engine to be started in the opposite direction, a servo-motor on the end of the cam will revolve the cam 180Deg, so now the air is directed to another piston that has it's piston slightly before TDC, therefore turning the engine in the opposite direction...

Hope that answers you Q :D

well where does the air come from? is it stored on board? how does it get refilled? got a chub goin. and get us a pic of that compressor i bet thats a huge mutha fucka, is it a Husky?

Well seeing as you asked...

Four x J.P.Sauer & Sohn Compressors supply the air into two 14m3 air receivers.

Compressors are 275m3/hour, 3 stage - 4 cylinder - aircooled, with inter and aftercoolers. 50Kw Electric motor.

These are very reliable with little maintenance and I have been using them on all of our projects so far.

Never heard of a Husky...

those are sick :notworthy: ,but would it run my 1/2" impact? :lol:

husky is a small in-house brand they sell at the Home Depot. its like a home improvement center in the states. or maybe you know that and i sound like a moron? who knows. i need beer.

oh yeah, can you equate kW to hp for us who use the imperial system of measure.

Edited by therail

• 3 weeks later...
J.J., thanks for the reply. I am sorry but I haven't been watching this topic. One more question, does it run an oil filter? If so, how big is the SOB.

Jinx, we run a combination of oil filters and centrifuging.

The oil filter is a Boll+Kirch auto backflushing filter and we run two of them in parallel. The physical dimensions are not impressive, however, the way it works is quite neat.

It uses a mesh size of 50 microns to filter the oil, and with clever design the total filter surface area is 66240cm2. There are 11 indentical filter chambers, each one has 18 filter "candles" in it. (Imagine the chamber on a revolver) One chamber is online all the time, a clever little device measures the pressure drop across the filter as it chokes up, once it reaches a certain level (0.6bar), the chambers are rotated so the next one is in line. The filter that was online previously now gets washed (or backflushed) by clean oil from the oil flow. The impurities from the back flushing then end up in another filter which can be removed and cleaned.

Typically the filter is opened up once every 6 months and washed manually if required.

In addition to the above, we also run a centrifuge which removes impurities and water from the oil.

Imagine a spin drier, it spins so fast that the water is flung to the outside due to the centrifugal force.

Similiarly, because the specific gravity of the oil is much lower when heated then that of the impurities and water, the oil can easily be seperated.

We also analyze the oil weekly and send samples to the manufacturer to see if we are keeping up with the cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...