Truck Exhaust

QuadMX

Alright I got an 89 Chevy 1/2 ton. Right now it's only got a single pipe no cat with a cherry bomb muffler. It sounds decent, but I'm looking for a meatier sound. I've seen a single pipe go into a cat and Y split into duals straight back, sounds pretty good. I was wondering, what if I did it with a single pipe into a cherry bomb muffler then split into a Y straight back. Would that be a lot louder than the cat then split Y? Would it be too loud that I'd get stopped?Also, where would I be able to pick up some piping to do this stuff myself? Thanks a lot for suggestions and help.

Bob

Hmmmm.. about the volumes and whether you'd get pulled over, I don't know.. but you can buy basic pre-shaped exhaust pieces at most auto stores. Murrays has a whole rack of stuff around here. Even some stores like Meijer/Wal-mart sell some pre-shaped pieces. If you need anything really custom bent, most muffler shops will do it for really cheap. One of my friends got a piece of like 3" mandrel bent tubing to make an intake for his Blazer and paid next to nothing. Just need th e bends, then straight pipes to hook to those :)

3" back to a Flowtech terminator muffler and two 2 1/2 inch out the back. Trust me ;)

Yea, that would be a perfect setup for your truck bro. Get a Delta 40 and it would sound plenty meaty, 3" to the muff and dual 2.5" out.

The cheapest way to do it is to buy the muffler from Summit and then take it to a local muffler shop and let them do all the pipe fitting, it will be cheaper and higher quality. I have a local back door hillbilly shop that does freaking great work and they'll work on my trucks, cat or no cat as long as it's that way when I bring it to them. My 95 454 4wd is catless and they put my dual 3" with dual flowmaster 40s for about $175, and all I supplied was the mufflers. I had to bring the vehicle to them without the cat and then they'd do the rest of the work. Our "understanding" is that is a off-highway ranch truck.

I have an '88 Silverado with a 350 and have tried a few exhaust systems....

First I bought the Summit mandrel bent aluminized 3" catback with dual 3" tails and ran that with no cat. Sounded good, but didn't quite do it for me. Also, your spare will have to be tossed in the bed of your truck with the 3" system.

I then bought Summit's truck headers (really Flowtech headers). Did notice a difference in low end torque and produced a little more noise under the hood, not out the tail pipes.

Got tired of the Summit muffler that came with the kit and I had a 3" 40 series Flowmaster hangin around. Threw that on and welded up a Y-pipe to fit the duals and I must say it sounded great! Good rumble at lower revs and made plenty of noise with the hammer down. I did have a cop question me about it.....let me off on a warning for speeding (I was very lucky) and seemed interested as to why it was as loud as it was. :D He was a actually cool about it!

Currently, I am running a single 3" with a Deltflow 40 series. New York winters did its number. Still loud, not quite as loud the dual setup but I can keep the spare underneath and with the Deltaflow, noise inside the truck is really cut down.

Like the other guys mentioned, Flowmaster is the way to go!

See. I like Flowmaster...the problem is...I don't have cash. I wanted just a quick cheap setup that would be loud enough to get me by for now. When my friends and I go cruisin in town I'm the only fool without dual exhaust. It's still loud...but just doesn't cut it. I'd like to do it for under 100 bux though...If at all possible. Hopefully if Sredish can hook me up with some stuff for cheapo? :D

See. I like Flowmaster...the problem is...I don't have cash. I wanted just a quick cheap setup that would be loud enough to get me by for now. When my friends and I go cruisin in town I'm the only fool without dual exhaust. It's still loud...but just doesn't cut it. I'd like to do it for under 100 bux though...If at all possible. Hopefully if Sredish can hook me up with some stuff for cheapo? :D

Well if you already have the "muffler" (if a Cherry Bomb qualifies! :lol: ) you can get the tubing for really cheap. If you can't find the already-bent stuff at your local stores, most muffler shops are willing to bend and sell you the pieces for a good price.

See. I like Flowmaster...the problem is...I don't have cash. I wanted just a quick cheap setup that would be loud enough to get me by for now. When my friends and I go cruisin in town I'm the only fool without dual exhaust. It's still loud...but just doesn't cut it. I'd like to do it for under 100 bux though...If at all possible. Hopefully if Sredish can hook me up with some stuff for cheapo?  :D

Well if you already have the "muffler" (if a Cherry Bomb qualifies! :lol: ) you can get the tubing for really cheap. If you can't find the already-bent stuff at your local stores, most muffler shops are willing to bend and sell you the pieces for a good price.

Honestly, a muffler shop can bend the pipe for you much cheaper than anyone can sell you a "kit" for. Just tell them you want a cheap dual exhaust kit. They can throw you on a full 2.5" dual setup cheaper than I can get you a cat back system at my cost for. Just get another cherry bomb.