Trail Tech Speedo

Well, I got the new toy, put it on. No problems. So I had to get the circumfrence of my tire (front right). I did this by putting a mark on the sidewall, and rolled it 360 degrees. from point A to Point B was 5 feet. So by the directions, I converted it to mm. I put that data into the lil computer and things dont seem quite right.

In low speeds it seems right, 10MPH feels like 10 MPH, but it says that my max speed was around 57 MPH. I am almost positive that she should be getting in the 65-73 range,, right? My banshee is stock, with the exception of the airfilter and twist throttle.

Anyone have any experience with this?

It depends on where you were. If you were on a drag strip with drag tires then you should probably be in the upper range. Is it jetted right? Try to do little adjustments and maybe remeasure the tires. See if any of that helps. Don't even ask me about jetting though because I know nothing about it. Except you adjust little pins to make your mixture leaner or richer depending on altitude/weather etc... I think thats right....am I right guys?

No, she runs great. I have no issues with the banshee. I can get her fast in 6th and feel the rpms top out to the point that I wont get any more speed. Engine runs great, I have stock gearing. I suppose If I went with a taller sprocket on the rear I would go faster but that is not what I want to do. I am sure that she is faster than 55 MPH. But maybe Im wrong.

I'm not sure how the sensor works on that spedo but have you takin into account tire growth at high speed. I know my buddies stock tires(non radial) grow like 2 inches in height when at high speeds.

got ahold of trail tech. They said that the computer may be picking up interference from my engine. So, I am supposed to wrap the sensor cable with alluminum foil. Sio, I did that and I didnt get a noticeable difference. I think I need a longer stretch of road o open her up for a longer period of time, that way the computer can catch up. Just my guess though. The other thing is I may try the BR9Es plugs to see if that will change things.

I don't think the plugs will make a diff... those just keep the ignition from being affected by other stuff, but not *from* affecting other stuff.

I had a similar deal on my mountain bike at one point. It was the mounting distance between the magnet and the pick-up that caused the problem. At higher (haha) speeds it would fizz up. Tweaked it and voila... fixed right up. Though, it could always be a bad sensor on it also.

First of all, tire growth at high speeds will definately affect it and the only thing you can do is add a little to the height of the tire when making your calculations. You will never be perfect for all speeds (unless you go to GPS), but you can make your average speed more accurate.

As for using the resistor plugs, they certainly would help if it were an interference problem. The resistor is put in the plugs to keep your plugs from messing up other electronics. Have you ever had an ATV or snowmobile drive by your house and screw up you TV or radio? That from plugs without the resistor.

I suppose If I went with a taller sprocket on the rear I would go faster but that is not what I want to do.

Going to a taller sprocket on the rear would be gearing down. If you are hitting max rpm's then gearing down will slow you down. Now, if you didn't have the power to reach peak rpm's in 6th you could gear down a little and actually speed up because your ATV could wind out.