Yet Another Computer Question

The title says it all. We just got a DSL line at the shop, I did my 2 years worth of Winderz upgrades, and now we are looking at getting some sort of firewall and anti virus software. We have a few people around us that suggest one thing or another. I know nothing of what to get, ease of use ect.

What are your opinions and what has worked for you?

What hasn't worked for you or just irritated the holy hell out of you?

Thanks.

For Firewall, I have heard that the widows XP firewall is pretty good (according to the IT guys at work). But, I use Zone Alert by Zone labs. I like it. I have also heard that Norton works well, Which is made by a company called Symantic. Again, I use something different. I use the Mccaffee anti Virus software.

In fact Zone alert works so well, that I couldnt get my programs to update off the net because I forgot to make them "trusted" in my firewall. The programs would say there was no internet connection when there was. So I guess the Firewall worked.

Stan:

No.. my cell is a (gag) Nextel............. I cant complain since work pays for it :dance:

Give me an idea of when you want to call and I'll try to keep my self in an area w/ a signal.

The # hasnt changed. I can also give you my home # if you want to call later in the day.

DON'T waste your money on a software firewall.

Get a basic router. The Netgear MR814 is my fav for a basic economical but effective solution.. you can get it for cheap, like $50. I paid like $30 after rebate at Circuit City, they might still have that deal going on. Anyway.. nothing software-based on your machine will be able to compete. Plus for one license, you could just *have* the router. The built-in XP firewall is OK but still leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Even if you decide to offer public services off of it (e.g., run a web server or similar), it is very simple and secure to set up through that firewall. And, as an added bonus, the MR814 adds 802.11b wireless connectivity to the area if you have laptops you want to use wirelessly -- or you can just turn it off.

Lemme know if you have any questions on a particular model, or need info on how to hook it up!

antivirus.. McAfee is my personal fav.

Edited by nater006

I'll agree with most and say getting a router is probably the best way to keep out possible incoming traffic...I use Zone Alarm with my DSL and run McAfee virus protection...haven't been infected yet B)

School me on what a "router" is and what it does. Explain it to a 5 year old that knows what a router already is. Its that loud fucking machine in my dads wood shop that we use to make shit like cabinets.

I'll agree with most and say getting a router is probably the best way to keep out possible incoming traffic...I use Zone Alarm with my DSL and run McAfee virus protection...haven't been infected yet B)

School me on what a "router" is and what it does. Explain it to a 5 year old that knows what a router already is. Its that loud fucking machine in my dads wood shop that we use to make shit like cabinets.

Call me at the house....... Im home now if you wanna talk pc's :)

i'll msg u my #

LOL, I didn't think of it that way but you're right!! I'm so used to talking PC routers and not the routers you're talking about... :lol: Crazy how two things can have the same but two totally different functions.

Did you get in contact with banshee370? If not, I'll try my best to explain to you what they are.. :)

LOL, I didn't think of it that way but you're right!! I'm so used to talking PC routers and not the routers you're talking about... :lol: Crazy how two things can have the same but two totally different functions.

Did you get in contact with banshee370? If not, I'll try my best to explain to you what they are.. :)

Yep!! I called Walt at his house and got some great info.

I got great info from everyone that responded. Thanks a ton!!!!!!!! I know if I have any computer problems I know where I can go for help now.