porting

decon

ok, my dad has done auto body work for over 20 years now. hes owned his own shop for years , and now works at a local shop. i ask him does he do porting, he said can do porting, he asked was it for my banshee, i said ya. he tells me its a waste of time, and hes not gonna do it for me. this is hella weak. only thing he said was that when u continuously ride it a residue builts up in the heads form the increase flow of gas, so its not worth it. i couldve gotta free port job :angry:

Edited by dEcon

he knows that porting costs around 600-1000 dollars already. i will get him to port my banshee, you'll see. All i really want is a mild port, no drag racing status, just a lil more hp. btw can anyone tell me what you have to exaclty do for a mild port? like what kinda carbs, what needs to be done to the crankshifts, the head, and all other things that apply for the banshee.

Edited by dEcon

btw can anyone tell me what you have to exaclty do for a mild port? like what kinda carbs, what needs to be done to the crankshifts, the head, and all other things that apply for the banshee.

what the hell are you talking about? :wacko: porting is just the precision removal of material from the intake, exhaust, and transfer ports on the jugs. you dont really have to have any of that other stuff at all. the only thing on that list id be aching to do after my porting would be to have the crank welded. all the other shit are just nice things to have.

i know what porting is, i was just simply askin what kinda things should i get so my banshee i can get the best preformance with my ported motor, like what kinda carbs, etc. sorry if i confused you with the question.

Get the crank welded, fo sho. Otherwise when it eventually grenades you'll not be very happy.

You can get the head milled, or get a Noss head or Cool head with smaller-than-stock domes.

As for carbs... whoever is doing the porting should be able to recommend carbs to you. Everyone has different recommendations.

I say let him do it, that way when they dont run better you can clearly prove to your old man that his arogance and gained even more disrespect from you. Everyone thinks they can port cylinders, its easy just cut em bigger bubba....haha. Aaaafullly expensive mistake if you cut something wrong. Just save your dimes and send them to someone that has a reputation to protect. You will be much happier in the end.

um his pops dose auto body for thep ast 20 years, so if he dose f*ck up I bet he could do one hell of a job with bondo to fix em lol......sorrry sorry,,,,I couldnt help it

porting is not just break out the body grider and go to town. porting on a 2 stroke is alot like choseing a cam on a 4 stroke. joe shmoe could proably do alittle celan up work on the castings etc(de burr etc etc)

listien to these guys have someone do it that knows what they are doing.

i guess most of the people who posted didnt read that he's done auto body work for over 20 years. he can paint, he can build engines, he can make cars, and alot of other stuff. if i were to get my engine ported the only person i would probly trust is my dad, cause he knows what hes doin.

i guess most of the people who posted didnt read that he's done auto body work for over 20 years. he can paint, he can build engines, he can make cars, and alot of other stuff. if i were to get my engine ported the only person i would probly trust is my dad, cause he knows what hes doin.

What the f*ck does autobody work have anything to do with porting 2 stroke engines???? That is like saying a painter can do heart surgery. :rolleyes:

Your dad is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about. He will f*ck your cylinders up if he does them. Save your money and send them out to get them ported correctly or you won't be riding your shee for a long ass time and will cost you more money in the long run if he tries to port them himself. Port work doesn't cost 600-1000 dollars. You can get it much cheaper than that by reputable builders. It is cheap enough to not even think about taking a risk to try to port them on your own. If you can't afford 200-300 bucks to port them, then save your money for gas to ride it like it is.

How does he make cars anyways :shootself:

im not having him do them. autobody being engines in general, but he is wrong about my banshee because its a different type of engine. i gotta show him this website, http://www.macdizzy.com/2stroke.htm ,so he can understand. he is not an idiot, he is trying to be on the safe side since he thinks that the banshee is like a regular engine (he doesnt know much about atvs). im quite sure what he said aplys to other motors.

And how does he make a car? I dont know, ask em. he made his porsche.