Porting specs?

broke

Broke:

The reason most people have a problem with him is because of his pure arrogance and lack of respect for his members (BBS). He is no longer building engines due to woman problems and health issues (according to what I read on another site)

One of his best lines that I ever read from him was the fact that he builds engines for people who have no talent or intelligence to tune it themselves. I'm sure everyone wished they knew everything but if we did... then we wouldnt need people like him to do our work. Me... I'd rather run a stock motor then send it to him. No matter how good he thinks he is.

Planetsand.com has some great minds that can help with some explanations of certain things. You just have to be ready for the idiots. They all have the "almighty" attitudes. Any engine builder that knows what he is doing deserves some respect... I just dont think anyone should prance around with a chip on their shoulder.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that is the first intelligent post that I have read on this site yet and I am in full agreance with you on this. Why in the hell would someone waste there time worrying about there timing specs when it means nothing whatsoever to the average laymen. Thats what is wrong with our freggin country now, everyone wants something for nothing, like I have a computor and I am smart enough to find the answer to make my Banshee faster than anyone elses just by surfing around.......Jaggofff. Not gonna happen..Be smart and just ride the quad and let the pros build the motors.....You know, I wonder if Donald Trump and Bill Gates will just post on the net the absolute secrets of how they became rich. Thats what I want to see posted all over the net.. NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN...

Damn Quick, calm down. :o

I don't think anybody was wanting to go out and copy someones work with this thread. I was waiting to hear some numbers too. Port timing on a 2 stroke is similar to cam specs for a 4 stroke. People compare cam specs all of the time and a knowledgeable gearhead can get a general feeling for how a 4 stroke engine will run by the cam specs. I figured you could do the same with 2 stroke port timing. I was hoping to gain a little knowledge with this one.

Although I do understand your point, B370. No one is going to go out and grind their own camshaft. But a few of us may pick up a die grinder and hog out some ports.

Most builders wont give out specs on a highly sucessful fromats except to their customers directly. Sort of reminds me of a few years back when I was talking to this old man. Seems he and his buddys had went fishing and just slayed em'. I asked " where did you catch em'?". And he replied " right here"..holding his index finger inside his left cheek.....Jim

You know that is the first intelligent post that I have read on this site yet and I am in full agreance with you on this.  Why in the hell would someone waste there time worrying about there timing specs when it means nothing whatsoever to the average laymen.  Thats what is wrong with our freggin country now, everyone wants something for nothing, like I have a computor and I am smart enough to find the answer to make my Banshee faster than anyone elses just by surfing around.......Jaggofff.  Not gonna happen..Be smart and just ride the quad and let the pros build the motors.....You know, I wonder if Donald Trump and Bill Gates will just post on the net the absolute secrets of how they became rich.  Thats what I want to see posted all over the net.. NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN...

:jesterlaugh: Quick..... you're back....stirrin the pot. Gotta love it ... right or wrong.

One thing about porting as I always say... it's an art. You can get all the durations you want. You still don't have the area of the ports or volume of the transfers.

Edited by fixitrod

Broke:

I wish I had a way to explain what I know and have come to understand. I'm affraid if I tried to explain some things to you that I would only make things worse. By far do I know everything but I've had some great people help me along the way (Dan Wade, Dave Moore, and Rick Kirmil)

Maybe Jim from Passion could shed some light on this without giving away any secrets..

As for Quick350......... I highly doubt its "the" Quick from the past. Last I knew he is out of the sport....

Um no, I am a new member to this site and would prefer to remain anonymous for a while. My political insites are black and white with no grey areas...I believe that when people spend there hard earned time and money to achieve success, that it should not be graciously given to the world. We as Americans in our arrogance give away our money and technology to third world countries and have ironicaly left ourselfs in debt. Therefore when someone comes up with an idea that puts them on top of the competition, it should be for sale and only privileged to the person that will pay for the technology. Now granted, there is a world of crap on the market that is a waste of time......Just proof you can polish a turd...so to speak and I will just leave it at that.

I would like to extend some comon sense advise here, and this could be helpful to some and a waste to others.

A. Raising Exhaust Ports

1. Increases Blowdown which intern allows exhaust to BUILD MOMENTUM EARLIER. This can be good and BAD....Think about it.

2. Lowers Compression"Yes common sense, less area to build comp.

3. Adds area to exhaust port......think bigger area,lower velocity!

I am going to stop right here, and hope that I am getting a point across. I have seen just about every engine builders in the country cylinders come through my doors, and all are different because of different theorys. I will tell you this though....BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER.

I build a lot of four strokes as well and my faster drag engines have smaller ports in them than stock.. If you would like to really learn more about what happens within the engine, look up the readings of Gordan Blair on the net and enjoy. Taken me about 15 years to get a handle on it though, you kids these days with your fancy educations could soak all up in a week or so. I will call it a night on that note! Chears.....

Most builders just use the same specs as everyone else. I can't remember my specs exactly, I just threw them away last week to and the trash is out....sorry. As far as running 28's for carbs, don't bother, go to 35's or 34's......I gained more bottom end power than top end w/ the larger carbs....trust me, I spent a lot of hours on the dyno w/ my stroker so far and will be doing a couple more things...I have low end to mx porting as well. I was interested in torque and not hp....

Edited by Banchetta

Those are some good numbers. That seems like a very torquey 4mm. I'm suprised that the bigger carbs helped low end torque more than they did at higher rpm. I am also suprised that you only gain a peak horse going to a set of 33's. I guess the money I was saving for carbs should go to a head with changeable domes.

Banchetta,

That's the kind of torque I would only hope mine makes. That is one smooth curve. I actually would have thought that the carbs would have influenced the power more. Just out of curiousity, what air filter set up and pipes are you running right now. I'm just trying to get a feel if X size carbs perform better with brand Z pipes. You have definately been a great help by trying the number of set ups on the dyno that you have. The new set of cylinders are sitting here just waiting to get worked on, just can't figure out exactly what to have done to them. Dyno graphs are even more helpful to me than porting specs are, it just gives me a visual model to relate to.

Thanks again,

broke(aka.......Jaggofff)