looking for m power in a thumper

my older bro just told me that he wants to get some more power out of his four stroke. what kind of things can i tell him to do other than pipe and air filter. he doesnt want to put a big bore kit so thats not an option what do u guys suggest??!!!!

It will take away some of the grunt, but will give more speed, assuming you're talking about the front sprocket. It depends on what you want out of it. If you don't care about low end grunt, wheelie power, etc, then muck with the gearing and see if you like it. But, you are trading off power for speed, basically.

If you're looking for a mod to add more power/speed capability, and just just one to adjust the power to speed ratio, a more aggressive cam is the way to go.

What kind of bike/quad are we talking about? :unsure:

yea thats really what we need to know. its gonna depend on whther its a sohc or dohc engine and what size (cc). let us know and we can really help you. ive had a predator and i have a yfz450 now and my buddy has a 450r so i can help you decide pretty good on whether or not it would be a good mod. but first, what kinda bike we talkin about??

see thats the problem i have been trying to not say what kind of bike it is because i just dont want to get yelled at from all u guys!! its a honda 400ex :( remember its not mine i have a 03 banshee with some nice mods, but my older bro is into the more easy going ride of the 400. i thought i could get help without revealing my shamful truth!!!

now that i have confessed, any thing i can suggest to him?

see thats the problem i have been trying to not say what kind of bike it is because i just dont want to get yelled at from all u guys!! its a honda 400ex :( remember its not mine i have a 03 banshee with some nice mods, but my older bro is into the more easy going ride of the 400. i thought i could get help without revealing my shamful truth!!!

now that i have confessed, any thing i can suggest to him?

besides pipe and filter, there isnt a whole lot. he could always build a 416 or 440 kit out of it, but then you are talking more money. it doesnt matter how much you do to it, its still not gonna be too fast. they wont keep up with a yfz450 anyway.

I would definitely get a pipe, air filter, and maybe some head/cam work done to it. If you get any of that done i would definitely gear it up one front sprocket size. The ex should have enough torque to pull through the gears even with a stock engine so go ahead and try it. It will pull longer through the gears and go quite a bit faster.

You could try a new CDI box/rev box.

I've test rode my cousins stock 400 and then his friends 400 with a white bros pipe and aftermarket rev box, and it was a night and day difference on the mid/top end.

• 5 months later...