New swingarm, painting options...

Whatsup y'all. I was thinking of getting one of the inexpensive swingarms on ebay. Erbilabuc said he's ran one and I've heard of a few others and all have said they are super stout. They come primered and ready for paint, or for another $100 they'll chrome it. The additional $100 for chroming isn't bad and it would be about the same for a powdercoat job, but still, I'm a cheap ass so I was thinking of using some Duplicolor and putting a metallic YZ Blue color on it.

My question is... can I put a decent enough paint job on it with the Duplicolor so that it will last for awhile, or should I rule that out altogether. If I was advising someone else, I'd probably say, quit being a cheap ass and fork out for powdercoating. I don't want chrome, I want a metallic blue color, so it's either duplicolor or powdercoat.

Later.

Well, I can proudly say that I'm a cheap bastard too. :P Actually, the X gets all my money so I don't have a choice either way. I got one of those swingarms you are talking about. I got it bare and just put a few coats of paint on it. I just found the closest color to stock that I could and started spraying. So far the arm has been great and the paint is fine. For $3 a can I can paint it every ride if I want to and still be cheaper than chrome or PC.

Scott, My buddy had his 250r swingarm pc'd in dallas and it was chump change to what I thought it was gonna cost.... I believe he said 25$.

Mike

:whoa: $25?? Not that's a bargain.

boonman, you got it, I was thinking Rustoleum or Duplicolor and putting some heavy clear. We'll see. There's got to be an end to my madness. :shootself:

Don't go too heavy on the clear. it will just make it more prone to chipping. Thick paint chips easier. It's a fact of life..... I went with 2 coats on my bike. And 3 coats of paint. But, my primer was zinc green, and the yellow took some "business" to cover the green completely....

Send it to me and I'll powderchrome it.

i dont get you guys. sredish you wanna chrome it? no. sredish you wanna powdercoat it? no. but you put the two words together and you have a hell of an idea! :huh:

Edited by therail

Scott,  My buddy had his 250r swingarm pc'd in dallas and it was chump change to what I thought it was gonna  cost.... I believe he said 25$.

Mike

:whoa: $25?? Not that's a bargain.

boonman, you got it, I was thinking Rustoleum or Duplicolor and putting some heavy clear. We'll see. There's got to be an end to my madness. :shootself:

Scott, I've found that if you call around you can get some pretty cheap prices in the dfw area, I believe he prepped it b4 he took it down to the place though. Just for some price range info.... people on here say that it cost around 100$ to get 'shee cylinders bored/honed..... I got'r done for 50$. BTW: You still need help switching your gears?? I'm free this weekend ( I don't know alot about gear ratios but I have a basic knowledge).

Mike