october coalfest?

I dont know exactly who you would talk to or who you would get funds from, but the land is already stripped land correct? The mining company has no use for it anymore, and I dont know how willingly they'd want to sell.

8bies or whatever that place is called is where I used to ride all the time down near hazleton/Jim Thorpe area. Had this big open area off the highway that was 3 tiers with a good hillclimb inbetween each one and a nice open flat spot on each tier to rip around on. Plus the usual miles and miles of trails and all sorts of other coal pits. They ended up basically flattening all the good stuff out so it isnt as fun anymore for "safety's" sake. I still go up and ride outside of it....but I run into their signs that you are entering their property and I gotta head off another way.

Your area sounds like a great place to open up another park. I dont know how interested the coal company would be in partial ownership etc. or how you'd have to go about it exactly though. I would think it would benefit them though, considering they'd be making money off the land that is just sitting there being used anyway, have a good way of having people sign waivers and such, and it would promote the cleaning of the land with cleaning days and such. Maybe do some sort of setup that you could buy your way into owning a campsite much like Tower City has that say its 200 a year for a membership and you get a campsite, or 20 a weekend to ride (must be accompanied by member) 15 a day if your by yourself. 1/4 goes to the coal company, and 3/4 to you.....and you'll maintain the land and deal with everything, all they need to do is sit back and collect.

Might be another idea in a way to deal with the situation. I'm tired of all the riding places in the area being shut down because of people getting hurt and suing and stuff of the sort. First NJ, then it was the hazleton area, sounds like you've had your problems up there as well.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe dat Meat, you (and the HQ) can do it, just gotta apply yoself.

I'm not sure which approach would work best tho, any way you can contact the Rausch Creek guys and see what they did?

Here a while back a few guys got together and formed a non-profit organization, and got some land donated (tax writeoff I possibly) to build an MX track on. I don't know if it was actually given to them (I doubt it), leased, or they just let them do on it whatever they wanted. Part of the deal was maintaining a locked fence for insurance purposes, this was a small area tho so not a big deal, maybe 5 acres. Then riders just signed a waiver and the landowner is not held liable for injuries.

It sounds to me like insurance and liability are gonna be your biggest hurdle, but you might be able to find out something from RC and Tower City and see what they do. As big an area as it sounds like, preventing access may be near impossible. BUT if you could form a group of guys that would be willing to help out, it may not be too far fetched. I can help out with letter writing to Reading, if you need it, that's one of the things I do at work all the time (sugar coating shit).

Damn, I see Abyss just posted a reply, gotta read that before I ramble on any farther...

Hey guys I definalty wanna be at the next coal fest, We can have it up at some other coal mountain more tord me in scranton, i no A few that are real fun, we can hit up if you guy want more info or one of you would like to check some other mountains out just pm me.. If not all help out with anything to get another one goin it really pissed I missed the last one but It wouldnt of been right to ride my honda foreman up :)

i'm down for whatever.I'm gonna be there if we have one in the fall.Even if i have to ride my banshee from here to there,i'll be there. :D The HQ Charity ride sounds like a good idea,if the coal company will go for it.Hopefully by then they won't mind us riding there.

• 3 weeks later...

i heard that a kid gotkille dup ther ethisweekend from someone at the dealer by me.so thie rprobably going to crack down on people for a while but i am going to use a few connections to mabey legaly rent coal hill for a weekend or something along those lineshopefully . i am going to try and find out more info and find out what all is doable i will find out in the next few weeks what all reading will alow i want another coalfest and the benifit ride sounds liek a great idea.but i have been there everyweekend exept the weekend of the 10th and 11th but i was also thinking mabey a next coalfest at towercity or rausch creek or 8b's club in hazelton thier all legal places to ride?what do you guys think? :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
i heard that a kid gotkille dup ther ethisweekend from someone at the dealer by me.so thie rprobably going to crack down on people for a while but i am going to use a few connections to mabey legaly rent coal hill for a weekend or something along those lineshopefully . i am going to try and find out more info and find out what all is doable i will find out in the next few weeks what all reading will alow i want another coalfest and the benifit ride sounds liek a great idea.but i have been there everyweekend exept the weekend of the 10th and 11th but i was also thinking mabey a next coalfest at towercity or rausch creek or 8b's club in hazelton thier all legal places to ride?what do you guys think? :headbang:

Tower City and 8b's you need a member to be able to ride and its starting to get pretty expensive. I'd never go to 8b's, that used to be my riding area and then they bought up all that land and knocked down all the good hills so it would be "safer"

Tower City is good riding but it gets pretty packed sometimes, I know someone that is a member but having 50-60 people or more camping at 1 or 2 campsites would be pretty insane and hardly manageable with vehicles and trailers and the such.

I KNOW A SMALL TOWN CALLED GLEN LYON THER EARE A FEW GOOD HILLS AND A FEW GOOD PLAY AREAS AND ALOT OF TRAILS BUT IT'S KINDA THE SAME WAY AS COALHILL. IT'S ALL RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK BUT I KNOW WHERE THER EIS A NICE PLACE BUT THERE IS ALOT FO MUD ALSO BUT ALOT OF NICE TRAILS.AND IT'S ONLY ABOUT 45 MIN NORTH OF SHAMOKIN ON RT81

My 2 cents:

Let's keep coalfest at coal hill and have another time set for rausch creek or some good trails.

Meat, xcracer, A donation to cancer research sounds good for now. While we're there maybe we can sign a petition, and donate money to your cause if neccesary. The hardest part is getting the stupid politicians to listen to you...just tell them theres money in it for them, they'll listen. Pitch your idea, tell them it will be safe, waivers will be signed, ATV sales have gone up drastically, people have a shortage of tracks to ride, it will dramatically decrease illegal riding, etc... A petition would be a great starting point, donations would be nice, and I'm like 90% sure you can get a land grant from the government for quite a bit of money if they agree with you. We all got your backs. Good Luck.

id love to go, but i cant get in ne more trouble with the shee, well fuckit ya i can...Im only 15 so its hard for me to get up there, but im sure i can manage, have the mother drive me up, or i will be driving then i can drive up, with te trailor and a freind prolly with a rappy, and come up fri ride sat go home sun kinda thing, meat u can see my shee by then, see how i finally got it running, lol.....i gotta meat ya and shake ur hand for all those longs posts helping me with my quad....