New truck

Hope it works out. For the record, I have a late '03 6.0 and it runs fine as does my dad's early '03 6.0. I know exactly what you all are saying, and the 7.3 is a bulletproof motor, except for the bolts in the the turbo housing base that can leak oil like crazy. I wish I still had my 7.3, although my 6.0 would spank it's little ass.

What's better about the '03 than the '04 you ask? Oh, well I'll tell you. The rear seat in an '04 doesn't fold forward like typical crew cabs used to; the bottom seat folds forward and down creating a flat surface or whatever. There is zero space for anything like subs, or amps, or whatever. That is 100% exactly why I searched out fort the perfect '03.

Anyway, hope it works out boonman, you'll have a sweet ride, as does Evil. Evil, when can we hook up and race brotha?? :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a few people that have the '03 6.0, and have had no probs. On the other hand, I know some that have had alot of problems, and had Ford buy the truck back. I just went with the sure thing. I LOVE the power of the 6.0, friggin sweet. Now, Scott, I need some stuff, and I remember you mentioning you get diesel parts. 'sup? :headbang:

Oh hell yes. This thing needs some get em up and go. Don't get me wrong, it scoots right along, but it could use some business. I love this truck!!! I just have to cure the 7.3 problem if nasty idle cackle. My wife was like "WTF is that banging??" I tried to explain, to no avail. I'll post some pics tomorrow......

good luck on curing the cackle. if it's a cackler, it will always be a cackler. i suggest running Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid, it will shift a little better and last longer. (you'll need that with the mods your planning) the cackle might quiet some with an exhaust system.

once you get done with the "typical" mods; air, chip, exhaust, etc., you'll be ready for a new turbo impeller and an ATS intake housing for the intake side of the turbo and a banks exhaust housing for the exhaust side. That'll really make it take advantage of the extra air in and out. You'll be limited to the 3" in and 3" out on the turbo and the air will literally back up on the intake side and cause your turbo to work too hard, and then it won't flow fast enough through the exhaust side and that's where the larger housing comes in for the exhaust side. After that, go propane; yeah baby, no one will be able to touch you with all that. Forgot, don't let anyone tell you that you need injectors, they'll help but not worth the cost at all. They won't really be needed until you do all of the above and maybe then a little. They're pretty good for quite a bit of power, a higher flowing pump might be in order though before that.

The 7.3 is so much fun because, like the banshee, the sky is the limit. Damn, I miss mine. :cry:

one thing my '03 does is idle rougher than shit. i mean it sounds like it has a very aggressive cam in it, whoomp, whoo, whoo, whoomp, sometimes like it might stall. But when you push the pedal, the mofo is goooonnnne. I don't want to take it in for the idle, because I know they'll run an update on the computer and change some emissions settings and all, and it won't run as hard when I get it back.

Edited by sredish

What's better about the '03 than the '04 you ask? Oh, well I'll tell you. The rear seat in an '04 doesn't fold forward like typical crew cabs used to; the bottom seat folds forward and down creating a flat surface or whatever. There is zero space for anything like subs, or amps, or whatever. That is 100% exactly why I searched out fort the perfect '03.

Anyway, hope it works out boonman, you'll have a sweet ride, as does Evil. Evil, when can we hook up and race brotha?? :D

like this ???

yes sir boon im running alot of banks stuff on my rig, not that it needs it, but because i can, i guess. i have the rbp propane kit in the garage but since i only have 250 miles on it right now i think im going to wait a bit before the install. and the intake is a k&n f.i.p.k. i heard alot of good and bad on this one but i have nothing but good to say about it, just the exhaust and intake woke up a monster and made it mean, wonder what will happen when i crank up the 6 gun to 6 and juice it up !!! shure sredish we can go fer a few passes :P later guys, i want to see pics boon.

Damd evil that is a nice ass rig!! :cheers: ...... That is the main gripe I had about pop's '04 there is ZERO room behind the back seat to put some cool shit. I think after we remove the grate from up under the seat though I could possible fit a sub or three under there :P . After riding in/driving the new powerstrokems/cummins my next truck will most definately be a diesel.

P.S. Boonman: I like the cackling :drool:

Mike

Yea, on the cackling, I might do the crossover mod. I dunno yet? It only cackles when it's hot. LOUD Bang bang bang, romp romp, bang bang..... etc... You get the picture.... lol I am really impressed with this truck, although it will have to go to the dealer, because it needs new hubs. They are froze... Friggin previous owner must not have moved them.. (vacuum auto operated junk) Not that it really needs them to be fixed, but I am a manual lockout kind of guy..... :unsure: I absolutely love this thing so far. Fuel miileage is a God send. Previously, for the last 3 years, none of my behicle have gotten over 7 MPG. :wacko: With a little lovin this truck will see 20. And when i am "playin'", prolly alot less. Oh well. It will rip soon. it needs a lift though. I can't stand being behind the wheel with this lowrider..... :bolt: People are gonna flip when they see me in something wth stock tires. That's the only drawback. And, it's a shortbed. BUT, it is sweet. Definitely have to do something to hear the turbo whistle. it is almost inaudible. Friggin Ford engineers doing their best to quiet in cab noise. I say bring it on!!! :drool: I wanna have to wear ear plugs to quiet turbo and engine whine. My buddy stopped over with his Cummins last night. Has a 4" downpipe, 5" back and dumps before the rear wheel. Friggin loud ass monster!!!! Cummins are loud to begin with, but this thing is kind of annoying. Makes some ponies though. :headbang: In time mine will tooo.... My list is long, but the mods will be carefully planned out. I have been lurking over at TDS.com for about 2 years. I had my heart set on the Cummins, but the Ford has a MUCH better cab. Lovin' it!!! SRedish, we'll be in touch soon enough my man!!! I have 4 buddies all with 7.3's that need a whoopin. Oh yea, one has a 6.0 as well. Got to hand him a lil' somethin..... :headbang:

P.S. Anyone want a '96 2500 Ram???? Purple and Yellow.......... Fuckin sweet truck..... It's up for sale..... :cry: