YAMAHA R-1 (its Off The Topic But W/e)

IS THIS BIKE SICK OR WHAT?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you need to start out on a ninja 250 man. i love it when people go out to buy the baddest fastest street bike, and never ride it to its full potential. do you have the skills to push an r1 to its limits ? most riders that have a r6, never really ride that to its pontential eighter. do you want to waste the money on a rocket that will scare the hell out of you ? the insurance too ? get something smaller and when you have at least 7 years of seat time, step up. and yeah i get pissed when i hear about 17 year old kids getting a r1, and trying to show off, and end up dead. for that reason i no longer ride street, only on the track where doing 160+ is ok. think hard about this before you make a move.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first bike was my 900RR -- but i'd been playing on CR500s for a few years prior and understood the theory of pointing it in the right direction with plenty of road before really playing with the throttle.

Insurance will be hell, yup.

In MI we just qualify on whatever size and go! My test was taken on a 125cc zuki enduro. No qualifying on larger bikes.

On the 900RR vs the 600R, the big difference is when you're either a larger rider or ride double. The 900RR makes it a bit nicer to ride double.. thats where I noticed a huge diff (buddies with CBR600Rs). The R1/R6 is probably a similar thing. You won't really notice a huge difference unless you're always riding excessively (100+ mph) fast, riding double, or are all about wheelies and 0-100 speeds and all that.

Good luck with whatever you get. Ride safe.

Edited by nater006

I totally agree w/ evil!!..good call man!.. :clap:

My first bike was my 900RR -- but i'd been playing on CR500s

I always get a good chuckle when people say this...... :lol:

(night/day..apples/oranges...)

No qualifying on larger bikes.

thats odd, i took mine on an FZ750 in MI......

take the 12-13k your gonna spend on the R1 and get an older 600....put another grand towards gear and a good safety school, and put the rest in the bank so you have some cash to buy parts for when you dump it...

take it from the ones that have been there.... ;)

Otis,

Yeah it is totally different, but the principle of having a ton of power beneath a wheelie monster and some crazy acceleration is still the same :)

Not me on the 750! Took mine about 5 years ago on a lil zuki 125. cycle qualification is cycle qualification.. or at least it was. I've got the CY on my license.. i'll take it ;)

Edited by nater006

About the poll question. I'm not too scared just smart enough to know not to. Listen to the masses its nothing agianst you or your riding ability just start a bit smaller get better and then move up. You can always learn by other peoples mistakes, it hurts less.

Everyone will tell you not to get it for one reason or another. You like me will probably do what you want regardless of any advice. I have personally have not ridden the R1. I did just sell my 2000 R6. It was more than fast enough to scare the hell out of me. Fastest I have gone on the R6 is 130mph. The R1 will get you much closer to a real world 170MPH. Good luck and be careful.

I have an 02 r6 and I will tell you it will SCARE the s--- out of you. Don't get an R1 you don't need any more power. Ooh for the people who say an r6 runs out at 160 your wrong I did 165 for a second. I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN it's way to fast everything is a blurr..... Also think of this 8,000.00 vs 10,000.00. I know at 17 I did not have that kind of money, Hell at 33 I still would not spend that much on a bike. Good luck and man be dam careful.

R1 is to big for your first bike! iv got a 125 just now and its fast with all the gear on it. its up for sale cos im looking to get the yfz450. im going to get a new bike after that tho. looking at a cbr600rr or another 748 cos i miss my old 1.

the 600rr does 180mph (ts) over here, i dont no wat it does in the US but thats fast.

i no you get a boner when you see the twin centre line exhaust system on the r1 but its an even bigger, harder boner when you see the single, fatter, better looking centre line exhaust of the cbr600rr.

GO FOR THE 600RR!!!!

R1 is to big for your first bike! iv got a 125 just now and its fast with all the gear on it. its up for sale cos im looking to get the yfz450. im going to get a new bike after that tho. looking at a cbr600rr or another 748 cos i miss my old 1.

the 600rr does 180mph (ts) over here, i dont no wat it does in the US but thats fast.

i no you get a boner when you see the twin centre line exhaust system on the r1 but its an even bigger, harder boner when you see the single, fatter, better looking centre line exhaust of the cbr600rr.

GO FOR THE 600RR!!!!

I would give just about anything for a nice Duc 748 or 996. Should have bought one when i was living in the UK....oh well! They are not the fastest bike, but next to the MV Agusta F4 they are the Sexiest bikes EVER!!

duc.jpg

duc2.jpg

Beautiful bikes...... :drool:

Edited by CombatTalon2

they are the Sexiest bikes EVER!!

I'll second that!!!.... :drool:

I got a chance to ride a 996sps a couple years back....i was ready to trade in my R1 the next day.....but for 23k...... banghead ...

• 6 months later...

Dont mean to bring back old posts, but i was just reading up on what everyone thought of an R1, and i just had some input....

Im only 17 (almost 18) and i work for a yamaha dealer near Dallas, Tx. A lot of people were saying there isnt much of a power difference except for top speed and with another person, i totally disagree. I always have to ride bikes on test rides, etc. I know it sounds ridiculous, but i feel a lot safer on an r1 than on the r6. The r6 is a lot lighter, yes thats good, but when your turning at slow speeds and stuff, its a lot easier to tip over. the added weight of the r1 helps balance it. The r6 also has no steering dampner, and the light weight makes it less stable at high speeds than an R1. The first bike I EVER rode was a 2005 kawasaki ZX10R. It was ok, but i definately like the R1 better.

Im not trying to start anything in here, but my opinion, NO bike is going to kill you, its the rider that doesnt know how to properly use it that kills himself.

Im looking for an R1 right now, i dont care about the speed, i will probably never go over 80mph, but the r1 just seems easier to control, balances easier, feels more stable, etc. Go the speed limit, obey all laws, use uncrowded streets until you learn how to ride good, NEVER get overconfident.

Dude first of all i wouldnt go liter class for a first bike. I dont even know about a second bike. Seriously it will bite you on your ass as one of the other posters said.

If you have to get one though dont get that one. I love yamaha but in streetbikes

I would get Suzuki. The 04 r1 was ahead of the gixxer but the 05 gixxer is redesigned and it completly different. It is it its own class again. They designed it after the moto gp bikes almost exactly. It looks slightly different too. Thats just my opinion on liter bikes so if you truly like the bike then go for. It would be my second choice though. :clap: