Noss Head

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever tried using other metls for the domes? Perhaps Titanium or Inconel?

I've not tried any other materials. Those two are pricey and a lot more difficult to machine. They would certainly be durable. I don't know all of the properties of titanium and Inconel. Do they transfer heat well?

Titanium transferrs heat very well and I don't think {don't really know though} it's very hard to machine.

Inconel on the other had is extremely hard to machine and it's heat transfer rate would probably be equal to stainless but it is so tuff that I'm pretty sure the domes could be made so thin that heat transfer would not be any problem. The thing about Inconel is the toughness. They use it for jet engine impellers. I'm almost willing to bet an Inconel dome could handle a complete piston failure undamaged.

I also wonder if there is a slight {probably VERY slight} HP boost from having a HARD dome. Just a thought.

I could even provide the material.

hey dlnoss? im thinking about going with a smaller cc domes.

were im at its 500 ft above sea level. but i ride trails mostly so i will be will be reaching close to 2000 ft above sea level. when i choose new domes should i stick to the lower sea lever or the higher? i dont want to set it up for 500ft and the stall out at 2000 ft or so. i dont want to run anything more than 93-91. what do you think i should run? anyone else feel free to advise. thanks :)

were im at its 500 ft above sea level. but i ride trails mostly so i will be will be reaching close to 2000 ft above sea level. when i choose new domes should i stick to the lower sea lever or the higher? i dont want to set it up for 500ft and the stall out at 2000 ft or so. i dont want to run anything more than 93-91.

The limitation is going to be the compression at the lowest elevation you will ride at. If you base it on 500' and 91 octane you will be safe at 2000'. If you base it on the maximum compression at 2000' elevation, you may detonate at 500'.

What size are you running now?

ok thats the info i was looking for. right now i have the stock head. saving up for a few things and im just checking into raising the compression.

my compression at sea level is 125. i would like to be some where around 140 at sea level.