Where Can I Buy A Leakdown Tester?

I have become quite a clymers bookworm since I have had a wierd problem with the shee.I noticed theres a 2-stroke leakdown tester pictured in the manual.This,I would like to own to help with finding my problem.

I noticed that I do have a slight antifreeze leak around the base gasket of the right cylinder.This may cause a troublesome air leak.Maybe retightening the nuts may solve it but i want to be sure.

I don't know of any place that sells a complete kit. You will have to purchase all of the components seperately. The key component is a Mighty Vac. Most decent autopart stores carry these. Autozone does as well. It is simply a hand operated vacuum pump with a built in gauge.

To obtain the rest of the components you need to go to a hardware store that carries lots of plumbing supplies

You will need two 1 1/4" rubber expansion plugs for the exhaust ports. I couldn't find 1 1/4" plugs, so I have to use 1 1/2" plugs. They are a little too big to get in the exhaust ports, but a little grease and cussing usually gets them in.

Next you will need a PVC pipe cap that fits in one of the intake boots. Sorry, but I can't remember the size right now. You should measure your intake boot before heading to the store. This will save numerous trips to the hardware store, believe me I know. banghead Next you will need a PVC coupling that is smooth on the outside and fits in the carb boot, but it needs to be threaded on the inside. Lastly you will need a hose barb that screws into the coupling and fits one of the hoses that came with the might vac.

I thought you were supposed to blow air 5lb into the case and then see fi the pressure drops...If it does add soapy water and watch for bubbles...I don't know how you oculd use a vacume to test???Or how it would help to identify the problem? Watch where your sucking water into the engine?!?! banghead

I pull 6psi vacuum. If it holds that for 6 minutes, then I am done. If it doesn't hold the vacuum. Then I apply pressure and use the soapy water to look for leaks. The plugs that I put in the carb boots want to shoot out under pressure and I am too impatient to sit and hold them in for 6 minutes.

Use vacuum or pressure, whichever is more convenient for you.

Brian, do you want a picture of the components? I can post a pic later if you need it.

I made my own leak down tester. In all the parts cost me about 15 bucks in parts from Home Depot. The main part is a gas pressure tester. The air valve is built in and the other parts needed are a plug some 1/4" tube with threaded ends and a plug tap as well as something large enough to plug the intake. Anyway here is a crappy picture of just the guage portion of my setup. leak%20down%203.JPG

Oh yeah it's graduated in 1/10 of a PSI. I just checked my motor last night. Held 6psi for over 20 mins.... I guess I should have gotten off the phone and worked on my motor... damn girlfriends

Edited by SDD

Now i will know what to get and how to test the shee.When the engine drops in psi under the vacuum test. How do you apply air pressure and be sure of a tight seal?

The Mighty Vac has two ports on it. One for vacuum and one for pressure. So applying pressure is as simple as moving the hose. The only problem is that the gauge only measures a vacuum, so you have to be careful how much pressure you apply.

Hopefully the picture helps out. I probably made half a dozen trips to the hardware store before I finally got the correct parts.

SDD, looks nice, do you use shop air to pressure up the engine?

I will sometimes use a compressor that I drain all the pressure out of then kick it on for a few seconds. Since it has a regular schrader valve you can use a tire pump to pressurize the motor. Either way same test as long as your careful not to put more than 8-10 psi in the motor. The other intake plug will pop out before any seals dislodge though.

Do you think that small leak of antifreeze showing up on the base gasket could lead to an air leak?After 3 min. of running it forms a drop. I might just tear off the cylinders and goop the wiseco gaskets with something to make a better seal. I'm still troubleshooting so don't mind me. <_<