Oil Leaks

KRMit

After going riding the other day and leaving the bike sitting for a couple days, there is a small puddle of gear oil underneath it. I've had a small oil leak coming from the shift shaft for a while, but now it's leaking at the kickstart lever too. Any tips on fixing these? Thanks.

yes you need to replace the seals. i can see the shift shaft, but the kick starter? i thought it set up high enough to where oil wasnt gonna just leak out of it. was this after you were riding it hard? sounds kind of funny to me. but ifthey are leaking replace them as soon as possible. actually if those 2 are leaking who knows what else is. how old is the engine? bottom end ever been apart? might be a good time to check..

The two seals are pretty easy to replace; the shift shaft seal can be pried out with a small pick or screwdriver (just don't gouge the mounting area), you'll hafta pull off the stator cover, shift lever, and left footpeg. For the kickstarter seal you should be able to just remove the kicker from the shaft and pull the seal. Once you get them off you should be able to find them at a bearing store, the National part number for the shift shaft seal is 10x22x7 and the kickstarter is 20x30x5; those are also the metric dimensions for IDxODxCC. If you don't get OEM make sure they are rubberized (not just bare metal on the outside or mounting area), and if possible get a double lip seal.

BTW have you changed to a different type of oil? My shift shaft leaked like crazy the first time I changed the oil, using 30W like the manual said. After that I've stuck with 80W90 and never had any leaks. Just curious, if you changed oils and the new stuff has more detergent or additives you might be doing the countershaft and even right crank seal soon...

The two seals are pretty easy to replace; the shift shaft seal can be pried out with a small pick or screwdriver (just don't gouge the mounting area), you'll hafta pull off the stator cover, shift lever, and left footpeg.  For the kickstarter seal you should be able to just remove the kicker from the shaft and pull the seal.  Once you get them off you should be able to find them at a bearing store, the National part number for the shift shaft seal is 10x22x7 and the kickstarter is 20x30x5; those are also the metric dimensions for IDxODxCC.  If you don't get OEM make sure they are rubberized (not just bare metal on the outside or mounting area), and if possible get a double lip seal.

BTW have you changed to a different type of oil?  My shift shaft leaked like crazy the first time I changed the oil, using 30W like the manual said.  After that I've stuck with 80W90 and never had any leaks.  Just curious, if you changed oils and the new stuff has more detergent or additives you might be doing the countershaft and even right crank seal soon...

Thanks for the reply. If they're that easy to fix, I'll probably do it tomorrow.

Nah, haven't changed anything. The shift shaft leak isn't anything new anyway. I've just been too lazy and cheap to fix it.

BenBB, I had just posted along with another guy about the oil seals on the sprocket shaft leaking, I thought it may have been from riding in the warmer temps now thats its getiing warmer here in NC, but I had changed to a 10-30W myself now, I guess I need to clean it up and go back to gear oil. Any suggestions?

Nah man, those seals are cake, just take off your case and get a screwdriver or a puch and beat them out and go get new ones.. those seals look like they are gernaded,, its a cheap and easy fix.If you wanna go cheaper, get them out easy and get the numbers off of it..if you can read them and go to napa and have them order you a new one..might cost less than 10 bucks :headbang:

I have to pull the whole cover off?  Is that real tricky?  I guess I have to drain the oil and coolant first?

yes you do. its not hard at all. just watch how youtook it off and where everything went. then put it back together the same way. do you have a clymers manual? if not go get one! while you have that side cover off does your clutch need replaced? itd be a good time to do it.