What Truck To Get?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damm rick, well being i just drove about 30 different dodge trucks and was set on getting the dodge, i had a change of heart, well i couldnt own a dodge. i had to get the mother of all trucks and get a super duty ford. i went to about 23 different dealers and drove every ford with every option, color, motor, interior. and all that and you cant beat the room it has, the look it has, and the power stroke motor. not to mention it didnt have "made in mexico" all over every part in it. after doing a shit load of research on the new power stroke that had so many problems, turns out it wasnt as bad of a problem as people make it out to be. dodges new h.o. is having just as many problems with their new set up as ford did when the 6.0 was first intoduced. so new stuff always has bugs to work out. now i did notice that ford trucks with a build date of 03-04 had a different feel then ones built prior to this date, so when i ordered mine i asked a million questions and finally found a dealer i could talk shop with and we addresed every question and he had a legit answer, i was shocked. after 2 hours of talking i said f*ck it lets order it man. i got a 250 crew cab 4x4 long bed with the power stroke. and i hate the waiting but its worth it. just my views on the situation but its your call.

sredish ill be calling you :)

damm rick, well being i just drove about 30 different dodge trucks and was set on getting the dodge, i had a change of heart, well i couldnt own a dodge. i had to get the mother of all trucks and get a super duty ford. i went to about 23 different dealers and drove every ford with every option, color, motor, interior. and all that and you cant beat the room it has, the look it has, and the power stroke motor. not to mention it didnt have "made in mexico" all over every part in it. after doing a shit load of research on the new power stroke that had so many problems, turns out it wasnt as bad of a problem as people make it out to be. dodges new h.o. is having just as many problems with their new set up as ford did when the 6.0 was first intoduced. so new stuff always has bugs to work out. now i did notice that ford trucks with a build date of 03-04 had a different feel then ones built prior to this date, so when i ordered mine i asked a million questions and finally found a dealer i could talk shop with and we addresed every question and he had a legit answer, i was shocked. after 2 hours of talking i said f*ck it lets order it man. i got a 250 crew cab 4x4 long bed with the power stroke. and i hate the waiting but its worth it. just my views on the situation but its your call.

sredish ill be calling you  :)

actually, my leaf springs have the "made in mexico" bs, but that's all I could find on with that. The build dates are going to run different unless you get one built in the last few months.

The '03 6.0s had some serious problems to begin with. International sold them the rights to use the motor BUT NOT the electronics that operated it, so Ford had to design and make their own. Well they initially F'ed that up and that's why there were so many problems. Then they got it straightened out. Towards the end of the '03 model year they had the computer on track and it was running great (my truck for example is a late '03 and it hauls). The programming for the computer was updated damn near every month, and if you had a November truck and went in for service say in December, your truck would receive the updated December flash. I don't know off hand wha the most current flash is, but they got better around December and some said the January flash didn't seem to run as hard as the December. Mine hauls ass and I am very relunctant to let the flash my shit.

In '04 they started using new injectors, so the '04 trucks have a somewhat different injection system than whats on my truck. So they have made changes and they are running really good right now. I will say that they do have a 6.4 Powerstroke in the works for a future SuperDuty. I don't know when it will come but I say in 2 years, maybe 3. But, Evil, that's why one will run different than the other.

My truck with a mere 110 hp module will flat haul ass. My last truck was an '01 7.3 PStroke F350 dually with a 4" lift / 35"s, 120 hp chip, air intake, 4" straight exhaust, 1.0 exhaust housing, and lots of other shit. I could boost 34 lbs and that f*^ker would scream, and sounded like a 500 Cat. I had it dynoed at 410 rwhp / 770 torque. It was a pulling monster and was bad ass. I traded it in on this truck and honestly feel this truck is more powerful. It probably won't dyno as much as that one, although with an exhaust system, I bet it'd be close, and I feel it gets power to the ground a whole lot better and the new tranny is unbelievable. What I'm saying is I had thousands of dollars into that 7.3 and I've spent just 6 bills on this one and this one feels much stronger and with a little more massaging would be twice the motor. Plus, I get 17mpg average, on the hwy I can get 20. My 7.3 was a 15mpg average and 17mpg on a good day. I can hit the quarter in just under 14 seconds, give or take depending on the launch.

Evil, I'm a small time dealer, but I can get some good prices on such and since it's not my real business I can usually pass that one to others. Let me know if I can hook you up, I love putting smiles on peoples faces. Damn, sorry for the long post.

i ve got an 86 F-250 with 200,248 miles still runs strong. personally im a big ford guy so the super duty is my hands down choce even thought the cummins is a good motor. besides ford recently bought cummins anyway, so the way i see it is pick the one that rides the best.

dodge is the only way to go for a diesel truck. cummins kicks ass and so does the 600ftlbs of torque the new dodge diesel makes.

Agreed

Cummins are the greatest. My dad owns a cummins and it outperforms the powerstroke like day and night. Plus never had any luck with Ford :shootself:

I can hang with my buddy in his 1 ton Dodge dually no problem when we tow. He could be my old 7.3L, but not my new truck. :clap:

sredish, link, thanks for all the info and help. im hoping ill have all the new goodies on it when it gets here. the build sheet was sent in last monday so it should be all cool with the new wiring and injectors. right ? im hoping so. sredish ill send you a pm when i get it in or if you have time send me one with some info on what you can get. id like to do an exhaust and air intake, pyro and boost guage right off the bat. as far as the 250-350 thing. i went with the 250 because its more then enough to pull what i have. i just got that 18 foot toy hauler and a smaller trailer, plus i tow some cars for friends and will definitly be pulling the 150 or ranger out to the desert so a 250 should be plenty. as far as payload the only thing im planing on putting in the back of it is a quad so again it should be fine. but as far as lifting it, i think im gonna leave it stock for a few weeks :rolleyes:

I love Dodge trucks. The cummins gets the nod in the motor department. No doubt about it. Stock for stock, I would say Ford. BUT, start throwing mods at it, and Cummins will walk away with it every time. The stroker may win in a drag race, but hook a sled, or a trailer up, and the tables turn. The V-8 stroker just can't hang with a Cummins I-6 when you tune 'em. My personal choice will be a Ford. Only for the cab space. Dodge still doesn't have a full size crew cab. I am still pondering the Xcursion choice as well. Still undecided. I don'

t plan on doing many mods to the truck, so the Ford will work out fine for me. I say if you want the utmost in performance, and have some $$$ to burn, get the cummins powered Dodge. It will be unstoppable.....

hey boon, what can you do for the ford lift wise ? i want to lift it but i dont want it to loose any of it towing properties. another reason i went with the 250. a 8 inch lift with 37's would be my first choice, but the only one that makes a desent 8 is donahoe racing (edge) but he uses deaver springs all around and they suck for towing or any weight on them.

Well, custom made leafs would be the way to go. If you want it tailored to your specifics, custom packs are the way to go. You have to make a decision. If you want all spring, and want weight carrying capacity, you are going to get a somewhat rough ride out of it. If you want to keep the ride, and tow, you can go the air bag route. It is a fairly cheap setup. for the way you can custom tailor the ride and handling on the fly, you can't beat it. For 37" rubber, you can go with 6" of lift. 37-12.5 rubber will go right on. if you want some 37's on some 12" wide rims though, you better go 8". For an off the shelf lift, Superlift makes military wrapped spring packs, which I am a fan of. They have a good ride, and good load carrying capacity. BDS has an EXCELLENT warranty policy. But, on the other hand, they are the only other spring pack that I have seen break other than skyjacker. If you have the $$, and want the ULTIMATE in springs, I highly suggest giving National Spring a call. THey will make you a set of leafs for whatver aplication you want. Around me, I would use the local spring shop, but it wouldn't be cost effective for me to get a set of springs made, and ship them to you form here. Shipping a set of springs is astronomical.... :shootself: You may be able to find a local spring shop. That's what I did a few years ago. Just go into the place, and tell them what you want. If the guy looks at you crooked, and spews out some backwoods response, turn around, and walk out the door. But if he starts asking questions about weight, and what you are running per axle, (# wise) then this is your place. You should be able to get a set of leafs made for about $6-700 per axle. National spring is going to be a bit more pricey, but they know their shit better than about anyone in the industry on lift springs.