Timing Is Screwed!

Just recieved a Rickystator stator and timing plate.I adjusted the timing plate to the mark -0- is where the cases meet,at the split. I try firing it up and It's way off the mark.I have a fresh top end and don't want to botch it up.

Should that -0- mark be in a different spot? I was thinking it should be at or above the casting "tab" on the upper case.

This isn't cool.I'm almost ready to ride again. :(

I'm working on this right now.I did not mess with the coil.I didn't think it needed to.The firing was crap when i kicked her.Maybe I'll advance it slightly and see what happens.Be right back....

I'm treating the forum like it's chat n' shit. :wacko:

Haha,...same thing I was doing when I ran into problems. Just make sure that you adjust the pickup coil. I had to adjust mine, I 1st forgot, and it was hitting the pickup coils on the flywheel & wouldn't fire for shit. Adjusted the pickup coil & shee was all better. Luckily I found what I had done before I hosed it. :rolleyes:

Haha,...same thing I was doing when I ran into problems.  Just make sure that you adjust the pickup coil.  I had to adjust mine, I 1st forgot, and it was hitting the pickup coils on the flywheel & wouldn't fire for shit.  Adjusted the pickup coil & shee was all better.  Luckily I found what I had done before I hosed it. :rolleyes:

What is the gap for the pick-up coil?i installed my plate at +4 starts good,but never rode it yet...

Haha,...same thing I was doing when I ran into problems.  Just make sure that you adjust the pickup coil.  I had to adjust mine, I 1st forgot, and it was hitting the pickup coils on the flywheel & wouldn't fire for shit.  Adjusted the pickup coil & shee was all better.  Luckily I found what I had done before I hosed it. :rolleyes:

What is the gap for the pick-up coil?i installed my plate at +4 starts good,but never rode it yet...

Never mind I just read another post....... .015 to .025 is the gap....Some reason I was thinking .030ish

Got it solved. I tell you one thing that plate is a tight as hell fit over the crank where it seats.Geez!. It sparks right on schedule but still runs terrible.On cold start when i push in the choke all the way in it wants to die but when i leave it at half choke it smokes a bit but still runs.wonder if 2 1/2- 3 week old fuel has anything to do with it?My comp. is at 156.

Man,going from one thing to the next. :angry:

Got it solved. I tell you one thing that plate is a tight as hell fit over the crank where it seats.Geez!. It sparks right on schedule but still runs terrible.On cold start when i push in the choke all the way in it wants to die but when i leave it at half choke it smokes a bit but still runs.wonder if 2 1/2- 3 week old fuel has anything to do with it?My comp. is at 156.

Man,going from one thing to the next. :angry:

I don't think the fuel has anything to do with it....Are you sure the motor ran fine before you put the timing plate on?

Before the timing plate it didnt run too good because of bad/broken rings.Now there is a strong spark and it wants to run but has trouble when i push the choke in when warming it up.It cuts out when the choke is in.My tubes are there,the slides are right,jetting should be there,fuel is getting delivered. I do notice fuel leaking out of my left carb though....Hmmmm.

I did remove a bunch of TORS wires and maybe I got a little happy with the snips and cut something important or something needs to be grounded.

Aggrevated..

Well chit. :rolleyes: I'd double check the carbs, what you mentioned, uhhhhhh air filter clean? Checked the coil yet? uhhhhhhh surely some peeps can think of some more things to check. Have you traced your wiring around where ya got snip happy?hehe Not trying to be captain obvious, but ya never know... ;) Keep a search'n, you'll get it right. I think we've all been there a time or two ourselves. banghead

I just did a simple rebuild with wiseco's. I think I cut some important wires though when i tried to rid my shee of TORS wires.Now it wants to run but will crap out when i touch the throttle.I eliminated the TORS wires that go to the throttle and the front brakes. I also cut the TORS wires that lead to the carb tops.Something is telling the shee not to rev. I have been troubleshooting this for a while and for the life of me can't figure it out.Next weekend i have a big ride and I'm stuck with this.

Yep! I'm bitchin'!