Top End Suprise

I have the cylinders off and I found an ugly sight. The left looks fine but the right is messed. My top right ring is gone! the friggin thing disintergrated.I see black specs around my crank on that side. There is also a large chunks out of my right piston about 4mm in size.All rings show excessive and uneven wear.This sucks.For the first time I cursed the banshee.I'm not myself right now. :(

Case splitting starts tomorrow.yipee.All that debris is...you know where.

The top end is off and I see very little scoring on the cylinder walls.I do see that I spilled a few drops of coolant inside the case though but that can be resolved.There is some sand around the crank but I cant find the missing ring.I wonder if it shot out he exhaust?I did take a few clearance measurements on the crank and everything is perfect.I does look like the connecting rod has been whacking itself against the case because i do see some wear.Why the hell is that?

The top end is off and I see very little scoring on the cylinder walls.I do see that I spilled a few drops of coolant inside the case though but that can be resolved.There is some sand around the crank but I cant find the missing ring.I wonder if it shot out he exhaust?I did take a few clearance measurements on the crank and everything is perfect.I does look like the connecting rod has been whacking itself against the case because i do see some wear.Why the hell is that?

Brian:

The crank should NOT go anywhere near the cases.... The scoring marks you see could be from debris that went through the motor. I would not even consider replacing the top end w/o splitting the cases to fully inspect the crank. If there was any sand in the top case half where the transfers are then I would replace the crank. I would NOT risk a new top end. Do you have a digital camera? If so send me some pics or post them here

Walt