Rear Linkage Kit

MILO

i have one bushing that is noticably bad on my rear linkage, where the arm connects to the swingarm. i have the pw linkage kit to replace everything. my ? is should i do it all at the same time or save the rest till they seem to need it? you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, kind of thing. by the way, any experience with the roller bearing bushing pw has in their kits now? i just changed a-arm bushings on my nephew's blaster with them tonight. the same is in my linkage kit. stock blaster has plastic a-arm bushings!! :blink: i'm sure the rollers will by far outlast them if kept greased up.

i have one bushing that is noticably bad on my rear linkage, where the arm connects to the swingarm.  i have the pw linkage kit to replace everything.  my ? is should i do it all at the same time or save the rest till they seem to need it?  you know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, kind of thing.  by the way, any experience with the roller bearing bushing pw has in their kits now?  i just changed a-arm bushings on my nephew's blaster with them tonight.  the same is in my linkage kit.  stock blaster has plastic a-arm bushings!! :blink: i'm sure the rollers will by far outlast them if kept greased up.

The bushings on the Banshee a arms are also plastic. If they used aluminum-bronze (what a lot of bushings are made of) the bushing has the potential to eat through that a-arm bolt in a hurry if the grease gets washed out some how.

As far as the linkage, I would replace it just because. It never hurts to have things running in top notch order. You could do this with the other bushings that may not seem bad enough to change...Stick them in a sealable plastic bag, and hang onto them, incase the need arises that later on down the line you need a part to get you by for a while. If you just replace one now, then 6 months later when another one is bad you have to do it again, then 3 months after that, and another 7 months later etc..... Just do them all at once if you want.

On roller bearings....I don't use them, but I may end up using and selling them if I can find a good source. Im a fan of bearings over bushings, but you have to keep them greased. This not only keeps them lubed and moving freely, but also pushes out any water or contaminants that might get in them. With a bearing you have to keep up on it. A bushing will be a little more forgiving since there are no moving parts.

i'll most likely do like cotton eyed joe said and replace them all at once and hold on to the old ones that appear to be good. getting into replacing one, and then the other, and then the other, and so on can be a headache. i do like to keep things top notch too. i figured since one went bad, it wouldn't be long till the others in the same system would go bad too. might as well do it all in one shot i guess. thanks guys.

ok, i finally got around to changing all the bushings in the rear linkage, taking my time and being very carefull not to damage anything, and keeping those roller bearings clean and packed with grease. down to the final stages, and went to bolt the relay arm to the connector arm, and the bolt stripped!! :angry: i had my torque wrench set to what the clymer's called for, and that little sob stripped the threads right off the bolt. 22 ft/lbs. was the magic #. apparently too much for the little prick!! now i have to wait to tomorrow and head to the shop and get a new bolt (i like to keep things tip top shape, and don't want to just throw any old bolt in there, considering the bearings and all.) is this the wrong torque spec, or was it just that the bolt has had it? there was still some grease on the threads when i tightened it, surely that wouldn't cause it to strip? sorry for the long post, but i'm really pissed, and have to vent. :angry::blink::angry::wacko:

looks like i'm gonna have to wait till wed. to get anywhere with this now. :angry: missed the shop on sat. and work thru wed. morning. sucky weather. sucky work. sucky bolts. everything but the wife is sucky right now. :blink: and that really sucks!! :angry: