Witch Gas Is Better>?

Well, AV is rated differntly then race fuels and pump gas. a 103 octane rated av fuel might be the equivelent of a 92 grade pump gas. They use a diffrent formula. Also AV gas contains anti-icing additives that could potentialy harm a two stroke motor. Kinda like jet-a isn't good for deisel trucks..the trucks will run good but it will ruin the motor. All in all the AV gas is formulated to provide a reliable fuel for high altitude flying at constant rpms. It made to keep carbs & fuel injection from icing and operated under heavy loads. I wouldn't run it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I have a buddy that has his pilots liscense, and that's basically how he explained it to me. Basically av Gas burns hotter to keep the temp up, and race gas burns cooler to keep the temp down.

And for you guys that are paying $7.00 as gallon for race gas, boy are they screwing you(not trying to rub it in!). I can buy 110 Unocal race gas for $4.25 a gallon and if I wanted to buy a drum, I could get it for $3.90 a gallon. I just haven't had enough time to ride a whole lot, and that's the only reason I haven't pickep-up a drum. To me it's worth $.35 a gallon to have fresh gas.

. 100LL Avgas has a octane rating of 99.5 at lean carb jetting and at rich carb settings it has a octane rating of 130! Avgas allows internal combustion engines to run cooler at leaner jetting even at near stoichometric ratios. More sophisticated piston aircraft engines can be jetted in flight while monitoring cylinder head temperatures of each cylinder simutaniously and this allows for maximum fuel efficiency while maintaining safety from detonation. I'll also add that you would be hard pressed to find a engine that is more prone to detonate than a variable pitch propeller aircraft engine without the use of Avgas. And it burns cleaner than automotive fuel as well. Like I said, not a replacement for race fuel, but more than adequate for anything less than a full blown race engine....Jim

There are many different grades of AV gas and racing fuel. You need to look at the octane rating on each to be able to compare apples to apples. I am not familiar with the additives in AV fuel and I had never heard that the octane was rated differently so can't help you there. As for me, I go to a local petrolium distributor (Northern Energy) to get the gas I run, 100 octane unleaded made by 76, its not considered a "race" fuel because it doesn't have any lubricating additives like a typical race fuel its just more highly refined. You can pull you car up and pump it right into the tank where as the race fuels you can't. The stuff burns super clean too and leaves very little soot (light gray colored) compared to 91 pump fuel (dark black). They sell it for $3.10 per gal. At the same palce they sell other brands of race fuel that are 104, 108, and 114 octane also for $4, $5 and $7. Many towns have ditributors like this, check your phone book.