Bad Things About Cool Heads

Personally I have always thought the term "Cool Head" was a marketing tool. It might have more surface area, but you have to get some sort of air flow across it to get the heat out of there. Your water pump can only pump so much anyway. I like the Noss heads better since they have the redirection thingers in them to send the coolant down the jackets in the jug, and not just send it in, and where it goes it goes.

i have to agree with boon, i never noticed a large temp difference, but it is nice to change domes and not gaskets as well as they look nice.....

I'll agree with that also. Even if there was a 5% reduction, the extra heat from the higher compression would offset that. Maybe in stock compression there may be a little (I actually don't know), bumping up compression in any way adds heat and would offset any small gain you have from the head.

So,CoolHeads dont make a bike run cooler?

Why the hell do they call them cool,because they look cool?

I dont have them ,but I will be buying them and one of the reasons was because they claim to make the bike run cooler.

They claim to have Coolant deflectors and larger water jackets and cooling fins on the replacable domes which in turn are supposed to make the bike run cooler.

I will be getting them mainly for the interchangeable domes.

But that there is no proof of cooling is very interesting to know.

THANKS,

BOONMAN,BLUE DUECE,COTTON EYE JOE,and SREDISH,for turning a stupid post into an insightful ,one this is why I love HQ.

Thanks again....

The main reason I got a coolhead is for easy compression changes and looks cool.I'm sure they cool the motor a tad.buy a water temp gauge or make one before you install a coolhead see what happens.I trail ride and it can get pretty hot sometimes so i bought a toomey radaitor.I don't know what the temp.came down to,but surely can tell just from the heat of the engine it's cooler!!!In the winter I have to block part of the radaitor to keep it 180ish.only bad thing guys here said about the pro-design head is they can worp in time.I'm sure guys here will tell ya to buy a noss head.i have a pro and if i need another one it will be Noss....

Hope were helping ya out...

I can't tell that my cool head helps in overal cooler running temps, but it does seem to make a big difference in the short run. Mine use to overheat much quicker with the stock head when doing a hill climb. On a certain hill I climb, with the stock head it would give you a wiff of radiator fluid and a spit some out if I stopped at the top of the hill without letting it circulate some more fluid through the motor. Now with the noss head it seems to be fine. I think the cool heads have much thinner domes and less overall mass than the stock head to act as a heat sink, so it transfers heat to the coolant faster, but that doesn't affect the average coolant temp because the same amount of heat will be transfered to the coolant just faster with the cool head. I believe the overall operating temperature of the banshee is controlled by the radiators ability to heat exchange with the air not the heads ability to transfer heat to the radiator fluid. So in my opinion it helps in the short run but the overall coolant operating temperature isn't changed with a different head unless one head was able to dissapate heat to the air better than another. I believe that is why NOSS advertises that his head ran how ever many degrees lower in a drag race than another because the coolant would all be at a low temperature to start and the head would transfer the heat away faster, thus lower head temps were measured. But if you ran the banshee for 20 miles and started measuring temp at 10 miles there would be no difference in the average head temperature.

So,CoolHeads dont make a bike run cooler?

Why the hell do they call them cool,because they look cool?

I dont have them ,but I will be buying them and one of the reasons was because they claim to make the bike run cooler.

They claim to have Coolant deflectors and larger water jackets and cooling fins on the replacable domes which in turn are supposed to make the bike run cooler.

I will be getting them mainly for the interchangeable domes.

But that there is no proof of cooling is very interesting to know.

THANKS,

BOONMAN,BLUE DUECE,COTTON EYE JOE,and SREDISH,for turning a stupid post into an insightful ,one this is why I love HQ.

Thanks again....

The only true way I know to make it run cooler would be the following:

•  
  • Engine Ice

• Pro Design Impeller

• Oversize radiator

I believe the Coolhead will help the flow, but like I said before the compression will offset the temp. drop.

I believe the overall operating temperature of the banshee is controlled by the radiators ability to heat exchange with the air not the heads ability to transfer heat to the radiator fluid.

Agree 100%. I'm just too cheap to buy a oversize radiator. My bud has had one in his garage for about a year and hasn't installed it yet. I keep thinking of a way to thieve it without him knowing. :D

IMO there a waste of money,I don't know about the Noss head but the stock head flowed better than the Prodesign.If your looking for better cooling,get a high flow impellar,it costs a 1/3 less than a coolhed set-up and cools 10x better.

Like others have said,the only advantage is being able to change domes,which unless your dragging,your not going to be changing them all the time.The o-ring design has to be the crappiest set-up I've ever seen.Head gaskets have steel fire rings,Cool heads have rubber o-rings.Which would you rather have?

If any of the 20 some orings are not seated properly,your going to have leaks.Especially if your constantly swapping domes.Only one guy I know that runs a cool head hasn't had any problems,but he's never taken it apart to change domes either.The other 2 guys are always bitching about leaks and none of the 3 can vouch for an increase in cooling efficiency.

I bought 2 stock heads and had them machined for 21cc and 19,total investment with machining 100 bucks.Better than shelling out 200 and another 60 bucks for extra domes.

IMO there a waste of money,I don't know about the Noss head but the stock head flowed better than the Prodesign.If your looking for better cooling,get a high flow impellar,it costs a 1/3 less than a coolhed set-up and cools 10x better.

Like others have said,the only advantage is being able to change domes,which unless your dragging,your not going to be changing them all the time.The o-ring design has to be the crappiest set-up I've ever seen.Head gaskets have steel fire rings,Cool heads have rubber o-rings.Which would you rather have?

If any of the 20 some orings are not seated properly,your going to have leaks.Especially if your constantly swapping domes.Only one guy I know that runs a cool head hasn't had any problems,but he's never taken it apart to change domes either.The other 2 guys are always bitching about leaks and none of the 3 can vouch for an increase in cooling efficiency.

I bought 2 stock heads and had them machined for 21cc and 19,total investment with machining 100 bucks.Better than shelling out 200 and another 60 bucks for extra domes.

awwww a sleeper.....one good route to go but missing the most important aspect.....BLING!!!