Axles, Best Place To Buy?

sredish

I've been wanting to get a new axle. +2 is what i want. I've read every article about axles and summed up that LSR is what you guys like. A friend is a "don't get lonestar, get durablue" kinda guy. I don't really care, and I'm not really looking for another debate post. What I do want to know is where is the best place to buy axles? Also, money is kinda tight, so do I need to replace the carrier now, or can I get buy with the stock carrier, and what exactly will be needed for a complete replacement?

What's the best process to remove the old and install the new axle? I wasn't really wanting to bust 3 bills if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Have to be honest. The Ricky Stator looks like it's right up my alley. What is their warranty? On the carrier, if I can, the stock would be good for a little while, however I will be saving for a new carrier. What is preferred in the carriers, dual row, round? Magic has dual row for $170.

Scott

Don't waste your $ on an aftermarkes bearing house for the bashee's swingarm. save up for a roundhouse style. As for an axle...durablues break..lonestars bend..both are garenteed by their manufactures and can be replaced for just shipping charges. I prefer lonestar as a bent axle will get you home but a broke will leave you stranded. You don't need an aftermarket axle arrier to run an aftermarket axle. The stock swingarm will not hold up to racing. plus that cheap ass chain aduster will fail on you and cause you to throw a chain and mess up that nifte 200 dollar bearing house. The best process it to put the ass end of the quad on blocks strip the axle of it's hubs and wheels,the undo the axle nuts...make shure it's all clean then push the axle through..the brake hub and rotor should still be on the axle..but you'll need to remove the rear brake. It's important not to get dirt inside the axle carrier. Ispect the seals and bearings, replace if necisary the repack the carrier with grease...same type that's already in there..the pull the brake hub off slide it on your new axle and run it through the carrier. It's simple and can be done in an hour.

I'll chime in. I've got a durablue x33 axle and love it - no problems, just telling you what I have, not looking to debate opinions on axle manufacturers quality or durability. Any aftermarket axle is going to be an upgrade. The installation of the new axle is a snap. The hard part is removing the old one. If you ride in wet / muddy conditions frequently, or wash your bike often, chances are the stock axle will give you a bit of a headache as a result of some rust in the bearing carrier. After removing all the necessary componentry I have found it will be necessary to beat the shit out of the end of the axle in order to remove it from the carrier. This can be acomplished with a BFH, or by removing the carrier from the swing arm itself and using it as a handle to drive the axle into the ground (slide hammer effect) These are extreme cases mind you, if rust is present or if you don't care about salvaging the old axle. Then just inspect / replace the bearings and seals as needed.

I'll chime in.  I've got a durablue x33 axle and love it - no problems, just telling you what I have, not looking to debate opinions on axle manufacturers quality or durability.  Any aftermarket axle is going to be an upgrade.  The installation of the new axle is a snap.  The hard part is removing the old one.  If you ride in wet / muddy conditions frequently, or wash your bike often, chances are the stock axle will give you a bit of a headache as a result of some rust in the bearing carrier.  After removing all the necessary componentry I have found it will be necessary to beat the shit out of the end of the axle in order to remove it from the carrier.  This can be acomplished with a BFH, or by removing the carrier from the swing arm itself and using it as a handle to drive the axle into the ground (slide hammer effect)  These are extreme cases mind you, if rust is present or if you don't care about salvaging the old axle.  Then just inspect / replace the bearings and seals as needed.

thanks demon for the input. it's my understanding that both durablue and lonestar have lifetime warranties, so I don't know what the big deal is. my friend is a racer and all he will use is a durablue. its like coke and pepsi, everybody has a favorite. the ricky stator doesn't even come with a warranty. :rolleyes: i want a basic axle, not anything super fancy, so right now I think I may order a Durablue Eliminator 2+2. I can get one pretty cheap through my friend and it fits the bill just right. Now i'll need to figure out how to get that damn rainbow looking sticker off when i get it.

Thanks again for the help.

get in dirtwheels and find somewhere with lsr axles for about 319. i dont think you are gonna find one for any less than that. and dont buy a durable, it has no warranty. lsr will fix it the first time then replace it after that.

i couldn't find any in dirtwheels that cheap, most ls were around 390, if i remember correctly.