Only One Side Idles

richb

I just had the same problem with mine after the rebuild. Mine ended up being the petcock not letting fuel go through the line in the on position. When I would flip to the reserve, then the fuel would start flowing and both pipes started hitting. Pull the fuel line off and check for fuel delivery in both positions. It does sound like only one carb is getting fuel. Let me know if that helps.

Hey Before you remove the carbs again and again just do this first.. Take the left carb cap off (as your sitting on it ) and see if the top of the slide has 2 notches in it.... The right carb will ONLY have one notch.. Bike will not idel on both cylinders but when you get on it it will come to life.......This is a done all the time..

Check for spark from the left plug...could be a bad wire. Also your reeds could be worn. Or not installed properly or damaged. check them out. bad reeds will cause it not to run in that cylinder. Reeds are hard to diagnose unless you pull them out and look at them. they should sit flush on the cage with no gaps. Did you bend a needle? pull the airfilter off and have a look...the needles should ride damn near perfectly in the center of the jet tube. if it's off it will throw the mix off. Also there is an air bypass on the carb for the choke...it could be dirty. From what your saying it sounds like the left isn't firing. The coil fires both plugs at the same time so it's a pretty simple ignition system. You could try to clean up the pickups on the stator.

• 4 months later...

mine is doing the same thing after a rebuild but every once the left side will start to fire and then itll rev really high so i shut it off, any ideas on that. i think that if it were an airleak it would be a constant not and occasional thing