Coalfest

Meat

Meat

Well don't no where to start. We used to go there on a Sunday morning about 8 am and ride til about 5 or 6 pm. :blink: The hill was there but they we still working the coal so we didn't hang at the hill too much. My Uncles grew up right there in Trevorton and in their youger days made some of the trails up there. There are nice trails, water holes, hill climbs, jumps and more up in the in the back where the strip mining was done. Shoot I could type all day but I gots to go to work.

so I can get vacation to go there :ph34r:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

head south on 81 and look for the Mt Carmel exit, head for Shamokin. You'll wanna be on Rt61 when your headin' for Mt Carmel\Shamokin. Once you find Shamokin, keep going west to the small town of Treverton. The road from Shamokin to Treverton is Rt225, locals call it the "treverton road". So get to Shamokin and ask someone where\how to get to the "treverton road\rt225. Treverton is about 8 miles west of shamokin, you'll stay on Rt225 and go right down the center of Treverton. Dont blink or you'll miss T-town. anyways.... drive through treverton and keep an eye on the skyline for a big black coal hill. You can't miss it, it dominates the area. At the end of Treverton, look for the baseball fields, the baseball feilds will on your right, Coal Hill on your left, look for the large wide smooth dirt road on the left hand side of rt225, take that dirt road, it will take you right past an old coal mining building, there might be some guys working there, dont mind em. Just keep following the dirt road, the dirt road circles Coal Hill, so you'll know if your on the right road or not. There's only one dirt road and its used alot so its in good condition. Just stay on the dirt road till it takes you around the back side of the big hill, you'll see guys riding. Find a spot to park and rip it up. Lock your doors. Once you get tired of Coal Hill, start taking trails, the trails go for miles and miles, try to ride east, heading back towards Shamokin. Remember, Coal Hill is at the very west end of the Strippins, and you can ride the whole valley 8-10 miles all the way back to Shamokin.

Id recommend using Mapquest.com and searching for Shamokin 17872 and Treverton.

if the hills are that big i guess u can't really miss it can you?

Just wait to you see the big coal bank in Shamokin. Its supposedly the largest coal bank deposit in the world, and i dont doubt it. Its triple, maybe quadruple the hieght and diameter of Trevertons "coal hill". The big coal bank in Shamokin was formed from the Glenn Burn colliery 75 years ago. The hill has trails on it, but there's no way in hell you can climb up the side of it. There's a local guy who rides those hillclimb events, he rides a modded KX500 with a one of those super long swingarms and a big paddle tire, he's been trying to climb the Glenn Burn hill for the past 2 summers, he hasnt made it to the top yet. He's really the only guy crazy enough to attempt it. His name is Dan, and I hope to get him to check out CoalFest. Dan also has a crazy ass KTM 550 2stoke hillclimb bike. That bike is insane, but his KX is even crazier !!

Here's a partial shot of the Glenn Burn mountain.... it only shows about 1\4 of the moutain, but you can get an idea how tall it is...

culm_bank.JPG

hey meat i went ou tthere last summer but couldnt get in touch with ya i met that guy dan i saw him riding around that place was the sh1t to ride at even if i didnt know where i was going i just rode lblindly but found my way back to the truck. i made a left before the baseball field and took a dirt road up a hill kinda and it brought me by coal hill. im down for this july sounds damn good to.

Was Dan on a white KTM 2 stroke ? he's always out riding.... dan's a good guy, stop and talk to him if you ever see him again. The guys loves his bikes and can ride pretty good, he's worth talkin' too sometime. Ask him about the cbr600 hillclimber he built or his old 500 quadzilla. I have some video of Dan climbin' the steep sides of coal hill on his KTM.