Banshee Repairs And Mods

jsekula

All I can say is crap! My Shee is slightly modified (Dynoport 2 into 1 pipes, Graydon Racing 1 into 2 intake with a Kehien 35mm PWK Air Striker, Stage III ported and polished cylinders, V-Force reeds, Coolhead 22cc). I am running a Dyna FS ignition. This weekend, it was running great on the trails, throttle response was nice and snappy. Then the throttle response went flat (seemed to happen suddenly). Tried to restart it, would very briefly run (about 2 seconds) and then die. Next kickstart would backfire out the exhaust. I changed plugs (they were wet) and tried it again, it did exactly the same sh*t.

I have not pulled anything apart yet... my guess it the fly wheel key. Any educated opinions out there? Does anyone know who make a stronger key?

Thanks,

Joe

Through my own experiences sudden peformenace issues are related to the CDI Box. I have gone through 2 stock ones that lasted about 5 years each, 1 Dyna that lasted 2 months and thus far the 2nd Dyna has been ok (1 year). CDI boxes are a pain and all the problems I have had are not sumiliar and very inconsistent.

If you think it is fuel related you may have something that got in your fuel lines and clogged up the pilots, thus shee wouldn't start.

Chris

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR DYNO PORT PIPES

Well, I am up and running again... Pretty stupid problem, wet got into the stator cover :o

As for running a Dynaport pipe, it is not bad. It pulls good, if I could find a dyno around here, I would like to have some numbers. I don't know if you caught I am also running one 35mm PWK AS carb... it is different, the only problems I have had is fouling plugs unless I run the piss out of it and the human causes, water imersed stator. Thanks

Here is a link if you wanna see how this setup looks...

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/jsekula/index.htm

I'm happy youre up and running again. I had the same issue with water in the stator.It raises hell. If you have had jetting issues with your shee go to the jetting forum and you will find help there.you can also look at the HQ jetting FAQ sheet.

I have a cascade stator cover and have had trouble with the gasket.

Jetting is a small problem... I am running the smallest pilot and still run fat. I have just gotten use to it and stay out of the low rpm range, Shee's always run crappy anyway on the bottom end (3,000 rpm and below). I always carry an extra set of plugs when I ride and all is cool then...

I cannot remember the main size (only one carb), I just clean it a couple weeks ago an was looking at it. The pilot is a 35, the smallest for the PWK A/S. Jetting did not change when going to the Dyna FS. My guess for being a little fat on the bottom... it is the pipes in conjunction with Stage 3 porting. I really need to jump to Toomeys or CPIs. Another thing I noticed is compression. I ran 22cc coolhead domes and need to move up to about 19cc which should still keep me on pump gas. Compression right now is 105 psi per jug. 19cc would put me around 145 psi which should be fine on 93 octane. So I figure between different pipes and compression, that would clear any fat issue since different pipes would scavenge better and compression equals more torque/power.

Dynaport pipes and Stage 3 ported heads don't work well together, so in the mean time, change plugs once a ride is what I do but it still has plenty of power. In 3 weeks I am going to start racing again at a TT type track in the VET class. It will be interesting to see it run up against V-Forces, Predators, and so on. In short drags against a 450 Yami, he takes the lead and holds it barely on the end as we run out of room while I am ready to pull ahead of him...

I'll see if I can explain... First, one carb will work if you stay with a base 350 engine, meaning NO BIG Bores because your engine exceed the CFM limit of your carb. Why did a V-8 car engine have no problems running a single carb? 8 carbs would be a syncronization nightmare.

It might be easier to look at it this way... Two cylinders... When cylinder #1 is on it's downstroke an pulling air/fuel through the carb, what is cylinder #2 two doing? It is around TDC firing giving you power. Only one cylinder is drawing through the carb at any one time, if you had two carbs, they only work half the time while one works all the time.

My Shee pulls so much air through the carb and intake, the intake turns super cold while I am running it.

P.S. A carb needs air flowing thru it to atomize the fuel and send it to the engine; if no air flows thru, your not using gas since most ATV carbs do not have axcelerator pumps that squirt gas into a carb. This is why a bad sticky float on an ATV can make it run rich because it is force feeding the engine...

Hope this helped, Joe