Duplicolor Metalcast On Cylinders?

Since I have to pull the cylinders off today, I was thinking about painting them to match my NOSS head (Red) with the metalcast (anno finish) paint. It says it is resistant to 500F, and is for engine headers, but is paint heat resistant enough? Otherwise I'll probably just wait till I can afford polishing (which I plan to eventually do anyways), I just have a can of this stuff already and thought it would look nice.

If not metalcast, I also have a new airbrush im dying to try out, but I have no idea what kinda paint to buy for it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I painted mine with the red metalcast a while back and it worked very well, and it stayed on and didn't flake, then i started to polish them and it came off with a little paint stipper, I'll probley use it again on my new cylinders too.

great :) thanks man!

BTW how should I prep them? 400 grit paper after the paint stripper?

well i stripped all the old paint off, then went from 320 grit to 600 grit and then used 2 coats of metalcast ground coat, and then used 3 to 4 coats with the metalcast anidized color, but i would make sure that you use the metalcast ground coat, and it lookes bad ass with it, it looks like you put metal flake in the paint, and then let it dry like 2 or 3 days and your set to go ride

thats one reason i used the ground coat, that way i didn't have to sand every little part of the cylinders, but i would say if you don't use the ground coat your gonna be sanding a few days because it has to be a really shiny surface, and then it would look like the noss head i guess, I have tryed the metalcast paint by it's self with out the ground coat but you could see right through it and every spot you missed sanding shows up like a sore thumb, thats the reason i used the ground coat, if you got the time and didn't wanna use the ground coat then just sand it down but then you are gonna be closer to your goal of polishing your cylinders, but if you wanna save some time then just use the ground coat like i did, and as far as the adhesion promoter I just use it on plastic, but thats your choice, I don't really see it helping any but thats me. ohh and also I used the grond coat and the metalcast on my frame and it looks real good, everyone thinks its a pro paint job, because of the way it sparkle's, but good luck! and I hope it turns out for the best for ya,I'm here if you need any help, Jonathan

Yea, I used the ground coat on the computer cases I customized, Once I sprayed it I decided to leave only the gorund coat..It really is good stuff..

So the ground coat is also temp resistant up to 500F? cause it does not say on the bottle...I guess I'll sand for a few days and see how far I get by next weekend and determin if I want to use it or not.

How is it holding up on your frame? I was thinking about using it on a few places, but decided I need powder coat for that.

Do you have a pic of your cylinders with the ground coat and metalcast?

the ground coat worked on my cylinders, and never had a problem outta it, but sorry i don't have a pic of my cylinders because i sold them the other day to get new ones, but on my frame it looks good and is pretty tough but you gotta remember it's paint, on some places is come off on my frame like under the seat where the seat rubs the frame but other then that it looks very good, Heres a shitty picture of my frame, in real life it looks 300% better then this picture "shitty camera" I can try to get a better one tommorrow and send it to you if you like, Jonathan

I can't see much from that one cause your bad cam, it looks more like rust in that pic lol...I'm almost done with the ruff grit on one cylinder...need mroe sand paper, then its to 180 - 400- 600

I don;t think I will be able to nail EVERY nook and valley doing this by hand.

Can someone suggest me some bits for a dremel to make things look fairly decent in harder places to reach? I might buy a dremel tool for my air compressor tomarrow too, because teh dremel is just too fat...I have new respect for people who do this to the compleatly polished level.

the only bad thing about useing a dremel with sanding bits is that it leaves very bad sanding marks that take forever to get out, the best bit I've found for this is a sanding stone, it's round and very thin and does'nt remove to much metal, and leaves very little marks, Jonathan

well i stripped all the old paint off, then went from 320 grit to 600 grit and then used 2 coats of metalcast ground coat, and then used 3 to 4 coats with the metalcast anidized color, but i would make sure that you use the metalcast ground coat, and it lookes bad ass with it, it looks like you put metal flake in the paint, and then let it dry like 2 or 3 days and your set to go ride

what did you use to strip the old paint off ?