Works, Elka, Etc.

sheeweet

They are a good shock made with good materials. So are PEP, AXIS, OHLINS, WP,PENSKE, and WORKS. Some are way better than others to a serios racer, but for most people they don't need $2500 in shocks. Works makes some good shocks that are 100% better than stock and don't cost much.

They have a larger diameter shaft (prevents them from bending on big big jumps), maybe use better quality seals and parts. I believe it's customer service and the name too.

I have never riden anything but stock and axis. I even bought my axis used. If something goes wrong with them, I call them. They hook me up like I just bought them. If I don't like how they ride, they'll revalve them for free ... I pay for the rebuild of oil and any bad seals. I had a rezzie that had a leak, they replaced it for free. What more can you ask for.

On the other hand, works seem to work very well for the rec rider. They probably would have been enough for me, but I seem to over kill everything I do ;)

Anything will be an upgrade from stock. If funds are the stopper (we all have bills to pay) then works might be what you need.

And, rezzies can be added anytime at a rebuild. You don't have to spend the money up front. They are to keep the oil cool so the don't start to "fade" and work like crap when riding very hard. Most of us don't ride hard enough to use them anyway.

"The Rod" Just about hit the nail on the head, but I'll throw my .02 in here just for the hell of it. I firmly believe that for 4 persons that buy works 1 buys a set of elkas, axis, pep, ohlins etc... The main reason for that is that is well....... the shit ain't cheap. Also the majority of quad riders are "rec. riders" in there case the works shocks will make them more than happy. But when it comes time to get down to business on an mx track the higher end shocks will go harder and longer that the works will. I for one can tell a big difference in shocks that have rezzies compared to ones that don't. Then again, I'm not excactly a rec. rider. To sum it up, if you spend 60%or more of your time just cruising around in trails, roads, open fields etc.. then a set of dual-rate works w/ piggy backs will do you more than good. On the other hand if you want to get nasty with it on an mx track or freestyle jumps spend the extra penny and get yourself some high-end shocks.

Mike

But when it comes time to get down to business on an mx track the higher end shocks will go harder and longer that the works will.

in my opinion for the rec rider the works are fine also, except for the one time a rec rider attempts even a 30 foot double, as well as opens it up down a long rythm section of whoops, or hits any off camber ruts, and the list goes on....... haveing a rezzie on a shock with no rebound or compression adjustments seems real stupid to me but on the other hand that shock would need it more than a correctly valved fully adjustable, since its just bounceing down the trail, if you could load an overly soft spring (and be able to agjust it's preload) in a stock shocks body youd have the "works" shock.....the difference between the expensive shock and the cheap one are just that, money, how nice a shock do you want? a fully adjustable, setup for your riding style, that will, allow you to fly down straights and hang on, corner like a slot car and a have not so plush miss timed triples, not result in a trip to the emergency room, that would Be a more expensive shock, so you do kinda get what you pay for.....i could make a shock in my garage that would rival the cheap works shock.........