Welding Crank

you dont have to buy a whole new crank, you can have your original crank checked and trued by a qualified mechanic who will tell you if it needs repair. If its ok just have it trued and welded, probably only 75 dollars if you bring him just the crank. I took mine out to have it welded and it had begun to separate. I only had pipes and intake at the time. welding the crank is cheap insurance against possible case damage, but not really neccesary on a stock or close to stock bike.

Is there any way to tell if the crank is seperating without splitting the cases and phisically looking at the crank?  Will it make any noises or run bad or anything? In other words are there any warning signs before it is too late?

Dex is right, by the time it is making noises it is already rubbing on the sides of the cases sending pieces of alum. threw your motor. Welded crank is the first thing you should do when your bottom end is apart. No exceptions!!! Just a good insurance policy for later.

Well that sux. I will ask you all this then. I bought my shee from my sister in law. She bought it brand new for her 12 year old son so it never really was riden hard or much until I got it. It sure was abused though..I have had it for almost a year now. I ride on average 60 - 70 miles a month. When I first brought my shee home the tranny oil was milky and looked like it had never been changed. I changed the oil before I even started it up. The clutch went south a couple months after I got it,From the shitty oil needless to say. I now change it every 3 rides or so. The kid knew nothign about the shee and was running regular 10w40 for the premix. It took a while for her to clear up to say the least! Compression is great in both jugs @130psi. Basically I am asking with the info I just told you would it be feasable to split the cases just to weld the crank or should I cross my fingers and hope it doesnt seperate and weld it when I have to split the cases? There is some sort of gear noise in the bottom end. It has done it since I have owned it. Could this be the crank seperating? Man you all have me worried now :unsure:

This really answers my questions... Thanks guys... Is this the blaster forum?? I guess I need a few more beers... Will be back in a bit.. :D

well it's really up to you.....I would do it as soon as possible. these things could do it tomorrow or 5 years from now...we don't know. True & welding would cost $45 usually. It's just the labor to take it apart, if you can do that then your $$$ in the bank. Could be now....it sounds more like a growling noise.....