How Often To Change Tranny Oil?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use golden spectro motorcycle gear oil. It's supposed to have extra addatives that help to preserve your wet clutch. Im not talking about friction modifiers that are bad in SOME conventional oil, just that this stuff IS supposed to be better than conventional oil...This is a long ongoing debate, but $6 for a quart vs 3 vs new tranny is a no brainer for me. I don't see much metal shavings in my oil when I drain it either, I usualy don't see any unless I have neglected to change it for a long time. I usualy change it every 2-3 trips to the dunes depending on how many gallons I put through her or how hard I am on the clutch. The only time I have ever really sceen metal shavings was when i first broke it in then there was a little sparkle, now when i change it you have to really pay close attention to see any at all. not saying conventional oil is HORRIBLE, just that this stuff is a little better. A new tranny is more than a new topend, yet everyone is so concerned about using the best oil in their pre-mix?

What are the extra additives? Is that what they told you at a bike shop or something? Lemme guess, they sold you the spectro? The "extra stuff" that people want you to believe is in the spectro oil is most likely Zinc Diethyl Dithiophosphate (ZDPP). This helps protect in metal to metal contact. Metal to metal contact will not occur when there is a good lubrication.

"The design of oil is to produce a film of oil between two mating surfaces which gives you the best protection against wear"

Every other change, I add a little lucas additive

Ouch! Dont get me started on that lucas crap aka instant foam. Where there is air there is not lubrication.

check this out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Every other change, I add a little lucas additive

Ouch! Dont get me started on that lucas crap aka instant foam. "where there is air there is not lubrication"

check this out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

That's very interesting! Thanks. I was wondering about that, too, how it would act at higher speeds and tighter clearences. It definatly makes sense, the lucas does what it's supposed to, but only at extremely slow speeds. I'm not using that shit anymore. <_<

• 2 weeks later...