How Often To Change Tranny Oil?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you guys change your oil so often? If it gets that dirty and breaks down that fast, then there's something wrong 

My oil never breaks down or looks dirty. I would probably have a heart attack if it did. Sometimes (usually) I feel like Im riding hard on my clutch.

Just because your oil "looks" clean, doesnt mean it is clean. Look closely next time you drain it and you'll see tiny, shiny piecs of the clutch (about the size of sand). This is what happens, and thats why I change my oil all the time

I was under the impression that you shouldnt use automotive oil because the additives will cause the clutch to slip and wear out faster.. Everybody using regular automotive oil should switch to an oil made for wet clutches with no additives. Just my 2 cents.. I also change mine after 3 or so rides. A magnetic drain plug is cheap insurance too...

I was under the impression that you shouldnt use automotive oil because the additives will cause the clutch to slip and wear out faster.. Everybody using regular automotive oil should switch to an oil made for wet clutches with no additives. Just my 2 cents.. I also change mine after 3 or so rides. A magnetic drain plug is cheap insurance too...

So I should go pay $6-$7 a quart or more? Thanks, but no thanks. "motorcycle oils" are no better, and there are usually no major differences in the additives. IMO

These additives that you are talking about are friction modifiers and they are NOT in all "motor oils"

Do you know who refines Honda oil? Mobil.

Stuwart Toomey recomends Castrol 20w50 in the instructions for the Toomey clutch install, check your owner's manual and see what it calls for in the tranny, call Hinson and talk to them about oil, etc., etc., I could go on and on...

I am telling you In 30 Year Nothing beats Clean Cheap motor Oil.

I like a fresh oil change after every good dune ride. Clutches last along time in those 30 years of rideing dirt bike, road bikes etc...

Gtx is about 1.70 qt. And works great, keeping it Clean is your filter. SO keep the metal out. Tranny gears Don't like it.

I'm not saying I never change my oil, but every other ride seems a little excessive. I know what clutch matierial and metal looks like in oil, and I know when my oil is clean. Whenever I ride through deep water or mud, or ride in extremely dusty conditions, YES I change my oil afterwards.

I used to use golden spectro 4, but now I use valvoline ATV oil, which is designed for wet clutches. Shifts real smooth. Every other change, I add a little lucas additive.

I use golden spectro motorcycle gear oil. It's supposed to have extra addatives that help to preserve your wet clutch. Im not talking about friction modifiers that are bad in SOME conventional oil, just that this stuff IS supposed to be better than conventional oil...This is a long ongoing debate, but $6 for a quart vs 3 vs new tranny is a no brainer for me. I don't see much metal shavings in my oil when I drain it either, I usualy don't see any unless I have neglected to change it for a long time. I usualy change it every 2-3 trips to the dunes depending on how many gallons I put through her or how hard I am on the clutch. The only time I have ever really sceen metal shavings was when i first broke it in then there was a little sparkle, now when i change it you have to really pay close attention to see any at all. not saying conventional oil is HORRIBLE, just that this stuff is a little better. A new tranny is more than a new topend, yet everyone is so concerned about using the best oil in their pre-mix?

Just my 2 cents.

i tried the 10w40 route and my bike was a bitch to shift missed gears like a bitch. a guy told me about bel ray. tried it instint improvement. some claim that its not good since toomey dont recommend it but after field testing it, it was way better than just oil.

the atf type f fluid deal i going to try it next. belray looked like it, smelled like it, cost 4x more.

i remember after getting my truck tranny rebuild that put a semi hard shift kit in it. it had type f in it and would shift good and hard, second gear scratch, changed the fluid to regular decron whatever and didnt shift as good so i changed it back.