Question For Blue Duece

PassionRE

Jim, like you I am a purist when it comes to music. I analyze absolutely every sound that comes out. I have had the honor of being around some of the finest sound reproduction equiptment known to mankind. My brother is the local Krell dealer among other high end lines and I have listened to sound systems priced over 200K on many occasions.

I personally dont have that kind of cash, but feel lucky to have my trusty re-worked into then 21st century SAE2600 and Magnepan 1.6QR's and are quite happy of the quality of sound. I would say they are as clean and linear as anything Ive heard just not as loud as a set of $140,000 Krell towers.

Sorry to beat around the bush, BUT....why is it that such super mega rock bands such as U2's recordings just sound like total SHIT. I can hear every little everything on my 1.6's and the recording quality is just total garbage..those guys can afford someone like yourself to do a better job....whats up with that?....Jim

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well jim most of the newer consoles are hybrid solid state boards, i find as you introduce more signal into the stereo buss they tend to garble, you have to consider 24 outboard devices all with stereo returns so theres 48 channels gone just bringing fx's back into the console, maybe 12 drum tracks a few bass upto 8 gtr tracks, keyboards, vocals, a typical mix you could be monitoring over 100 inputs all slammed into a solid state stereo buss, that introduces tons of noise into the air of the mix, U2's engineer and producer are not known for sonic purity.....there shitt is muddy.....i use the same consoles to attract my clients but since the console has 4 stereo busses and an 8 channel surround matrix, i take and strip the class "A" busses from older Neve consoles that dont have the bells and whistles of todays consoles and basicly customise the buss of the newer desk, you can slamm the buss with little to no destortion.....in my case ive been a drummer for 35 years, and well know the art of making a drum kit sound punchie and tight long before i mike them up, the drums and bass need to be clean and tight....i then ramp them up using again a class "A" compressor and put those in your face in the mix i also use a limiter so i can ramp the signal up with out clipping the main signal path, after that is easy to toss some vocals and other instruments into my mix...in my biz people choose you to track or mix there record cause they like your "sound"..people use my rooms for the same reason, they like what they can create using my studio...the best engineer in the world cant make a shitty console sound good, people used to say its all in whos spinning the knobs i find that to be untrue...i say your shit can only sound as good as the output of the console....some artist like U2 will go just set up some gear in a castle and try to mix there, therefore they thinks it sounds good but even the air in the room changes the sound...how much reverbaration is present in the room when you mix?..tuning a room is an art as well......i can take a mix from my studio to my car or home and say to my self yep thats how loud i had the bass or yeah thats the eq i used on the entire mix......so lots of things come into play before you hear it...when they were mixing it probally sounded good to them, then a mastering guy eqed and compressed it for compact disc.....and your listening to it in digital which is more brill than analog.......all kinda stuff factors in to make a record suck..........my tip is trash the U2 disc the bastards suck anyhow

well jim most of the newer consoles are hybrid solid state boards, i find as you introduce more signal into the stereo buss they tend to garble, you have to consider 24 outboard devices all with stereo returns so theres 48 channels gone just bringing fx's back into the console, maybe 12 drum tracks a few bass upto 8 gtr tracks, keyboards, vocals, a typical mix you could be monitoring over 100 inputs all slammed into a solid state stereo buss, that introduces tons of noise into the air of the mix, U2's engineer and producer are not known for sonic purity.....there shitt is muddy.....i use the same consoles to attract my clients but since the console has 4 stereo busses and an 8 channel surround matrix, i take and strip the class "A" busses from older Neve consoles that dont have the bells and whistles of todays consoles and basicly customise the buss of the newer desk, you can slamm the buss with little to no destortion.....in my case ive been a drummer for 35 years, and well know the art of making a drum kit sound punchie and tight long before i mike them up, the drums and bass need to be clean and tight....i then ramp them up using again a class "A" compressor and put those in your face in the mix i also use a limiter so i can ramp the signal up with out clipping the main signal path, after that is easy to toss some vocals and other instruments into my mix...in my biz people choose you to track or mix there record cause they like your "sound"..people use my rooms for the same reason, they like what they can create using my studio...the best engineer in the world cant make a shitty console sound good, people used to say its all in whos spinning the knobs i find that to be untrue...i say your shit can only sound as good as the output of the console....some artist like U2 will go just set up some gear in a castle and try to mix there, therefore they thinks it sounds good but even the air in the room changes the sound...how much reverbaration is present in the room when you mix?..tuning a room is an art as well......i can take a mix from my studio to my car or home and say to my self yep thats how loud i had the bass or yeah thats the eq i used on the entire mix......so lots of things come into play before you hear it...when they were mixing it probally sounded good to them, then a mastering guy eqed and compressed it for compact disc.....and your listening to it in digital which is more brill than analog.......all kinda stuff factors in to make a record suck..........my tip is trash the U2 disc the bastards suck anyhow

WOW!!! :o:blink: , and I thought I was in to audio stuff. OH ya, take duece's advice about U2.....terrible noise pollution.

MIke

K, you guys are psychic. :blink::blink::blink::unsure:

Today on my way to the 7-11 for a well deserved Big Gulp, I was listening to Super Tramp... That song that goes..."Take the long way home". I've always been a fan of Super Tramp and Boston for their music, but also the quality of sound thats been recorded, BACK IN THE 70'S!!!! You compare that to another great band, Corrosion of Conformity, and they sound like they recorded that in someones storage unit. Listen to any of Bostons music, or Super Tramp, then listen to something like Machine Head. The guys drums sound like card board boxes. Its sooooo amazing to me the difference. Some other albums I like for the sonic quality are the first 2 Pantera albums, and Megadeth-Rust In Piece and newer albums. When I had a system in a Tahoe I owned, you could hear and feel every little thing with out tweaking anything in the truck. Some of the other bands, like Machine Head, I could just never adjust it enough to compensate for what was recorded. :blink:

thats because the cheap bastards think they can get away with an 8 track in joe blows basment...tom schultz from boston is a great engineer and knows he needs good sounding gear to make his point.......right down to that killer lilting sound, you hear in the drummers kit, every time he goes to his ride cymbol your hearing a zildjin 24" ride same as bonam in led zepplin....its hard to make a dude beating the f*ck out of the side of an 18" crash cymbol sound like any thing other than noise.........the guy who engineered and produced supertramps "breakfast in america" is the same guy that produced plenty of shit with "Yes" the "Moody Blues", "Al Dimieola" "Stanley Clarke", Whittney Houston".....

its all eye candy Stan...... its a shame it takes that to attract theese morons, i painted one of my rooms purple to get "Prince" to book it for 6 months.....he has the same gear at his pad....some of the "rockstars" have so much bread, if its inexpensive somethings wrong......their management just wants the "Best" for them.....allthough those consoles cost 900 G's, plust construction and out board shit....a mil 5 later...... one of those bastards will give you 3500 a day to hang out in it, and book it for a year straight, its all just credit Stan, lease that console like it was a car.....a month after its in they got something better.......im just chasin my tail......but i do get to put up with pricks and assholes for 12-20 hours a day.....jim thinks he's busy....im typing this right now while a guys singing in the other room...im hitting rewind then play, rewind then play,sometimes pop him into record, id much rather be at home............