Will A K&n Bolt Right To The Stock Box

I was wondering cause I just got a set of fmf sst's pipes, and I decided that I need to do a filter and everything now, so I am gunna get a K&N filter, not the ones that bolt to the carbs, but the one that goes inside the air box, cause I ride water in the summer, I would like to have the ones that just bolt to the carb cause they would provide more air, but my question is will the filter bolt to the box, or will I need to get a pro design adapter, and what is the benfits of a pro design?

You can use the stock plastic insert for the crap original foam filter.Just cut off the plastic cage and keep the white adapter plate.Another good thing to do is to take the foam off the carb side of the plate and use silicon to seal it to the air box,Drill two holes through the top corners and bolt it back in place. Hope this helps.

Yeah, you are going to need the adaptor I dont recommend the plastic one. Cant think of any advantages of a "pro design" to any other brand except its probably going to cost you more. I used that same set-up until I went to the clamp on style but it works really well...

I'm currently running the setup neilgf mentioned.

Stock filter cage with the cage portion clipped off.

Removed the foam from the the side of the pate that touches the box.

Insert the plate in the box tray.

Drill two holes at the top of the plate and through the box.

Bolt the plate to the box. At this point it's just like the aftermarket plate with the exception of the o-ring.

Slide K&N onto flange of the pate.

Cover with outerwear.

Whala.

:ph34r: i have used the stock cage with the foam (adding permatex) and drilling the corners for years and love it you do have to cut the underside of the lid to clear the bolts but you dont need that part anymore that lip was to hold the filter an outrwere goes for abbout 15$ and helps keep water out of your filter i ues it so i dont have to cleen my filter as often it does not hurt air flow those addapters are a rip offfffffff

Sure you can use it without outerwear.

I would guess it would provide slightly better air flow.

The outerwear after all IS a filter. Not much of one but...

I would not recmmend it though. The samll amont of air flow you would gain woud be more than offset by the extra cleaning youwould have to do on your air filter.

K&N filters are terrific. I have one on my pos polaris and it helped it run very well. They are great because they are reusable. I wouldnt go the cheap route and mod the stock filter adaptor. The good thing about the proflo adaptor is that it is metal and wont bend or anything when you clamp the filter on. If you want to get a proflo adaptor i would look on ebay. I got mine for about 26 bucks so thats the way to go versus paying 45 for the adaptor and an other 45 for the filter.